Wireless XLR with phantom

Biskit

Just wondering if anyone has found any reasonable XLR plug-on wireless units which offer phantom power?  Years ago Sennheiser had this feature even on its base model in the G1 Evolution range, however from G2 onwards, phantom power has only featured on the top of the range version. My budget won't stretch that far so I'm looking for other options.  There seems to be a plethora of budget plug-on XLR wireless options these days, but all that I've seen are without a phantom option, and I've no idea if any of them are any good anyway.

An alternative I'd consider would be a battery powered phantom source, combined with a plug-on transmitter.  Has anyone come across a tidy and reliable combination along these lines?

Application is for instrument spot-micing where the convenience of wireless is desirable, but where I'd like to be able to select specific (cabled/XLR) mics for the job, rather than a wireless HH on a stand, or lapel/clip-on type options.

I got asked this question only yesterday...

Sennheiser are (apparently) releasing a plug in transmitter as part of their EW-DP range. It offers phantom power, a lapel mic input and a micro SD card slot so you can record the audio if you want. It will work with the EW-D receivers.

Wex have it on their site for pre order. I think it's due in October. Of course, if you do not have an EW-D receiver, it may not be cost effective!

Wex photo

The RodeLink Newsshooter will do exactly what you want, although apart from being on Rode's website, it appears to have vanished off the face of the earth!!

However, it is 2.4ghz (which may or may not be an issue) and range can be limiting - I've struggled with 15-20m, plus battery life isn't great, couple of hours maybe for both tx and rx. Oh, the website doesn't mention phantom, but look at the pdf and it's there, along with 'plug in power' on the 3.5mm socket too!

I bought 2 systems to use exactly what they were designed for so the limitations weren't an issue for me and they have been very good.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:57 AM, Biskit said:

An alternative I'd consider would be a battery powered phantom source, combined with a plug-on transmitter.  Has anyone come across a tidy and reliable combination along these lines?

Application is for instrument spot-micing where the convenience of wireless is desirable, but where I'd like to be able to select specific (cabled/XLR) mics for the job, rather than a wireless HH on a stand, or lapel/clip-on type options.

Would you be able to plug the Sennheiser transmitters into this?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm

Phantom power on two channels of mic.

2 hours ago, DavePallant said:

Would you be able to plug the Sennheiser transmitters into this?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm

Phantom power on two channels of mic.

I use one of those combined with a plug-in Senny tx (that doesn't supply phantom) to convert a lectern mic to wireless that is otherwise wired for on-off events where the lectern isn't near a connection point for the mics. Works perfect. Tuck the bits inside the lectern (obviously one with a shelf rather than just a single column!).

I have no experience with it, but I did spot this budget option a while back. No idea if it's even vaguely usable or reliable. I'd rule it out as it's got built in rechargeable batteries, but as it apparently works "without battery or mains power" maybe that's not a problem. Who knew a radio mic manufacturer would be the ones to finally crack perpetual motion?