DMX splitter advice please

attfield

8 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

Some older Martin gear had a pin 2/3 reverse because Martin had their own multiplex standard prior to DMX becoming standard. It was similar enough to DMX that fixtures could use both but kept their own pinout.

Indeed they did. They used the same as audio - 1 common 2 hot (+) 3 cold (-). And infact (and I quote) they suggested "you can use standard 3-core balanced microphone cable". Quote is from the Martin 2308 Controller users guide, also similar wording in the 2504 controller guide and Roboscan 812 guide. Roboscan 812s (and some other variants) could use either the Martin RS-485 protocol or DMX, the guides do not differentiate the two when mentioning cables. Incidentally, the afore mentioned kit was (is!) all 3 pin....

Edited by sleah

1 hour ago, sleah said:

Indeed they did. They used the same as audio - 1 common 2 hot (+) 3 cold (-). And infact (and I quote) they suggested "you can use standard 3-core balanced microphone cable". Quote is from the Martin 2308 Controller users guide, also similar wording in the 2504 controller guide and Roboscan 812 guide. Roboscan 812s (and some other variants) could use either the Martin RS-485 protocol or DMX, the guides do not differentiate the two when mentioning cables. Incidentally, the afore mentioned kit was (is!) all 3 pin....

And the cables supplied by Martin with every lamp were rather poor quality audio cables at that, certainly far too noisy to use them for microphones

• 1 month later...

Guys, I really appreciate the advice given here.

So an update I took your advice and invested in a 6 way splitter(I’ll tell you which later). Bought and fitted ‘proper’ DMX cable 5pin. Hired a bunch of LED lanterns for our last production which was a success. The company now think I’m a genius, so thanks again.

Unfortunately the brand new splitter is faulty, it didn’t affect the production but I’m sending it back to the manufacturer. They have been very positive so I’ll post again once this has been resolved.

Cheers Malcolm