Adding folding clamps to LED PAR64s

Nid

Here is my take on adding folding clamps to my new 200w LED PAR64s.

The lights came in a custom road case with a very shallow lid - no room for permanently attached clamps ☹️

So, I came up with this idea, consisting of a simple 50mm coupler, a piece of 10mm nylon tube, two 3D printed adapter parts, a moving handle m10 bolt and nut.

If anyone wants the STL file for the 3D parts, let me know and I'll put it up on Thingiverse.

See the video (narration is in Hebrew but you'll get the idea..) 

🙂

That's pretty neat, and I don't think it introduces any significant hazards - perhaps if overtightened the plastic could crack which unloads the halfcoupler which could open, but realistically with sensible use I can't see it being likely, and I'd hope safety bonds are in use in any case.

Doughty make a commercial product for the same problem - http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_T85850

Edited by J Pearce

Yes, I've seen some solutions like Doughty's Space Saver but they are all too tall even in their folded state. The Space Saver is 50mm high and would prevent closing of the case lid. (my solution ads only 20mm to the yoke's height) Besides, the Space Saver is rated for 100kg so is a massive overkill for a single 4.5kg fixture..