Smoke machine for nightclub

Stuart91

I've been asked by a nightclub owner to recommend some decent smoke machines for them. They have had an unhappy succession of cheap models, most of which have broken within weeks. I figure they need something a bit heavier duty, but it's a while since I've bought anything for this kind of scenario. 

The space isn't particularly big, I'd guess around 300 capacity. The el cheapo machines are fine in terms of output, they keep ahead of the air handling fine. It's just the longevity that's the issue. If it were 15yrs ago I'd be recommending a Jem ZR20, but I'm not sure what current models are properly built and which are still trading on the reputation from years gone by. 

In hire stock I've got on quite well with the Chauvet Hurricane 1600, and whilst this would have ample output for the room, we've only used them for occasional events rather than 6hr shifts four nights each week. 

Anybody got recommendations? Or are they better sticking with the cheapies and treating them as consumables?

In my experience the ones from the usual DJ brands ie brands that make everything to do with DJ'ing eg smoke machines, cd players and flashing lights are best avoided, they're aimed at a particular end of the market. I've seen a few so-called high-end DJ models and they don't fare much better.

I like the Martin (formerly Jem) machines, Le Maitre and Look! / Smoke Factory.

But you'll find a leap in price between these and the DJ brands.

PS The fluid also makes a difference to the longevity of a machine. CHeap fluid is mostly water which will require your DJ to lean more on the smoke button and for longer periods as the machine billows out steam with a bit of smoke in it. I'm also curious how calcium deposits get into machines if the fluid is supposed to be made with distilled water...either way it can't be good for the capilliary tube in the core.

Good smoke fluid produces nice white smoke at the touch of the button which lingers far more. Coupled with the tighter temperature control of a good machine and it'll be a better effect overall. Some cheapies give a couple of puffs of white smoke then the rest comes out a sort of transluscent grey - which I suspect means it's too cool.

Edited by KevinE

The Jem/Martin smoke machines are usually robust. Still built in the same Jem factory in Lincolnshire despite the Martin/Harman takeover.

I wonder, would they really be better with a good hazer - can give a much more consistent "club atmosphere".

• Upvote 1

Good to know that Jem / Martin are still going strong. Might be a bit of a stretch for their budget, but they have several thousand pounds worth in their smoke machine graveyard at the moment...

Tim makes a good point about haze, but I think they're after the excitement factor of a big cloud of smoke scooting out at the appropriate moment.

The Spaceball looks like an interesting option - certainly very compact. Could be a good buy for my own stock...

If their budget is tight(er), what about looking for a secondhand ZR33/44 or similar? As we've established, Martin/Jem stuff is built to last and a year or two's use of one of those might convince the budget holders to invest in a new similar model when it finally dies. (I note there's a ZR22 on ebay at the moment...)