DMX - Timer

Hi just looking for some help.

The company I work for provide battery powered uplighters to events a lot and controller them via a flarecon and a simple DMX controller the issue we have is the setup is much early than the event so we either need to go back or trust the client to turn on the lights we cant leave them running as the batteries may die. Does anyone know of a DMX timer or a way to DIY a DMX timer to fade them on at a certain time of day or after a specified time. Ive work with Arduino's and other micro controllers before so will happily make something with them

Any help would be much appreciated

I'm sure there is software with real time clocks and I'm sure someone will be along to advise.

However, I'm thinking if you use a DMX solution it means leaving the units powered on (at 0%), is there still a chance the batteries won't last?

Would something as crude as plug in timeswitches work?

24 minutes ago, kizzoknight said:

the batteries definitely last when the fixtures are on but at %0 as all its powering is the 7 segment display. So we want to keep them on battery also running the power at some of the venues or when we put them outside isnt really practical

Quite why I suggested plug in timeswitches when you clearly said (and I also mentioned) you were running on batteries is beyond me. Proper senior moment there! 😂

You could have a plug in timer on the DMX desk - leave it at zero, turn the desk off, turn the desk to full when not powered and put it on the timer plug. At 6pm the DMX value comes on when the desk powers up. 

crude but low cost, as long as the desk is something simple like a sixer it may work. 

Edited by TomHoward

19 hours ago, TomHoward said:

You could have a plug in timer on the DMX desk - leave it at zero, turn the desk off, turn the desk to full when not powered and put it on the timer plug. At 6pm the DMX value comes on when the desk powers up. 

crude but low cost, as long as the desk is something simple like a sixer it may work. 

This could work actually didnt even think of this

10 hours ago, DrV said:

How many units would you need? I've got some spare blank PCBs (and possibly some other hardware) left over from a project which might be adapted to your needs.

Dave

it would depend on how I did it I would need to think of the circuitry which is the bit im struggling with

There are various DMX record/playback units that will run a scheduler - even allowing you to offer your clients a change of colour at clockface time or a slow fade through the night etc.

Enttec make some good ones. Others do too. "DMX Playback" is a good search term.

3 minutes ago, J Pearce said:

There are various DMX record/playback units that will run a scheduler - even allowing you to offer your clients a change of colour at clockface time or a slow fade through the night etc.

Enttec make some good ones. Others do too. "DMX Playback" is a good search term.

cheers I will have a look ideally though we would like to keep the gear thats already there

1 hour ago, kizzoknight said:

it would depend on how I did it I would need to think of the circuitry which is the bit im struggling with

If you just Google "arduino DMX shield" there are plenty to choose from (mostly with 3pin XLRs unfortunately). There is also a choice of libraries to drive them so you wouldn't need to do any circuitry at all.

If all you want to do is put in a fixed delay from reset/power-on before bringing up some channels, and you're happy to hardcode the levels and addresses into the code, then you don't need anything else. Just a bit of code with a delay() and then some dmxWrites or whatever the library requires.

If you want to be able to change the DMX levels(or even record them from a desk) and/or change addresses, and/or change the delay, you'll probably need a display and a few buttons but you can get all that in a single shield too, although you might need to rearrange inputs and outputs so they don't conflict. This is one of those projects that is loads of fun to do because you start with a really basic function then you can add to it and tweak as much or little as you like. Always assuming you actually LIKE in the first place!