Properly weatherproof speakers?

MixingWizard

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for some relatively compact weatherproof passive speakers in the sub £1000 price range, but I'm struggling as it seems to be a fairly niche category. Most of the speakers I have found appear to be designed for install rather than touring use.

They would mainly be used for speech reproduction and occasional background music use. 

I'm currently looking at the Nexo P8s as they would double as a nice set of wedges for smaller stages, but I'm wondering if that will lock me into using Nexo processing like a lot of their other speakers? They also don't state an IP rating that I could see. 

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

MixingWizard 

Tannoy's AMS 8DC's are IP65. Won't go as loud as the Nexo's but you can drive them from whatever you like. 

A little larger, but the EV SX300PI is also quoted as being weatherproof, but can't see an ip rating. 

Both the above are pretty ok alternatives that won't break the bank. 

• Thanks 1

Community have their R-series and WET models which are potentially worth a look. 

When you say "weatherproof", are you going to be putting the speakers out for a gig, then bringing them back in again the same day, or leaving them out indefinitely? 

There are plenty boxes that will cope with a bit of rain if dried off reasonably promptly, but won't last permanent exposure to the elements. 

• Thanks 1

DS Sound (discosmash) of Antwerp make properly weatherproof speakers, aimed at installations on funfair rides in all weathers. I haver a client who has a system and is very pleased with it.  I can vouch they're the real deal, very heavy and well made. Ignore ther slightly tacky-sounding name, they're Belgian. Customer support is reportedly excellent.

DS Sound Antwerp

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, Stuart91 said:

When you say "weatherproof", are you going to be putting the speakers out for a gig, then bringing them back in again the same day, or leaving them out indefinitely?

I'll see if I can get hold of Community around here. 

It will mostly be day jobs, but there are times where we need to leave them outside for a month in all weather. 

On 2/15/2023 at 9:17 PM, Stuart91 said:

Community have their R-series and WET models which are potentially worth a look. 

There are plenty boxes that will cope with a bit of rain if dried off reasonably promptly, but won't last permanent exposure to the elements. 

Good answer - Community make, in my experience, the most resilient outdoor boxes in the industry.

I do a bit of cruise ship installation work (stage engineering, not audio) and you see community speakers on outdoor decks that have been there for 10+ years, exposed to all that salty sea air, high winds, excessive moisture... and still going strong. Not many 'outdoor' speakers are going to be good for that.

The other ones I see regularly are the EV Evid speakers.

Edited by dje
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:31 PM, alistermorton said:

I'm trying to remember what they have at Minack - I think they're an RCF outdoor speaker. They get left out in all (coastal) weathers. Might be worth asking them what they use?

Unless they have changed them since I was last there FOH is Bose 402s and the subs are some passive RCFs.

Given the salt they die anyway and have to be periodically replaced.

The Bose speakers among the seating have been replaced. We were there last summer and they had recently been replaced and a new system commissioned. The new speakers are quite directional - our sound guy was surprised at how little off axis sound there was.

The big RCF subs were still rumbling on - grilles as rusty as you'd imagine, but still doing the job.

Edited by alistermorton