Chauvet ROGUE RH1 Driver PCB Issue

partyanimallighting

Hi guys!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! It's me again. I've got four RH1's that, besides ongoing issues with fans etc have served me quite well since 2018. One however, went down about 6 months before Covid struck and I initially narrowed the problem down to the MH078E driver board (via swapout with a working MH078E driver board) but I did nothing else over the past couple years to be honest. There's no zoom, focus or shutter function from this driver board and the PCB is over US$130.00 from Chauvet (for a simple enough PCB with 5 drivers) so repairing this PCB is the way to go for me. Now, this faulty PCB has been sitting down for the past couple years waiting for me to test it and I finally decided to make a real effort to sort it out finally. So I have the faulty PCB and I also removed a working PCB to compare. I did some probing and all the components seem to be fine via comparison readings across both boards (not powered up) with the exception of the VP3082 transceiver which seems to have shorted out. So once again I'm looking for a guiding hand (or hands) to get the unit up and running again. Powering up the unit with the PCB installed to check voltages on the various components will be a bit much so my first question is, could I just connect the faulty PCB to a 24VDC source (the rated input voltage to the PCB is 28VDC) and test the voltages this way or do I run the risk of damaging the faulty PCB even more? I don't see an issue with this but I just want to be sure, just in case.

MH078E BACK.jpg

MH078E FRONT.jpg

Have I missed the information on which exact parts of the board are reading short, and what kind of short? Dead short to ground on a power rail? Partial short?

Are you reading a short across the incoming power supply? Or one of the lower voltage supplies down the chain? If the short you are reading is across the 5v rail supplying the chip, the job is to find out what is actually shorted on that line.

If do you have a short, there is no need to fire any more than a couple of volts down the offending line using a current limited DC power supply to find where it's coming from.

Edited by indyld

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of a response but we're in the middle of our Carnival season after a hiatus of 2 years so things have gotten really crazy very quickly and a severe lack of sleep and rampant exhaustion seems to be the order of the day. When everything dies down I'll refresh this post. My apologies.

• Like 2