Miniature Microphones - Theatre/Headworn/Beige/3pin Mini XLR

PYROmaster

Hi all,

Hoping somone can point me in a direction...

The company I work for use mini-lav mics with a 3pin mini XLR and I cann't seem to find any that are in stock at the right price point for us.

We normally have the t.bone stuff from the usually very well stocked German warehouse ( https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.bone_bodymike_tan_akg.htm ) but the long lead time currently stated on the website puts it after our event that we are just about to start... 

It's a little bit my fault for not having spares, but on the filp side, I did have spares and then the mic requirements changed and I didn't get additional budget to compensate....

SO, I am wondering where do people normally go for this type of mic? I've been ordering thomann for so long that I have no idea where sells a comparable product.

Unfortunately, as a company we are not yet able to justify the sort of prices that come with the brands like Sennheiser/SHURE/DPA... as much as I would like to!
- Secondary question: Have mic prices always been that high on the brands? I am seeing £300-400+ for just the mic & cable....

Let me know what options are out there! 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Phil

you could try these

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/mp33750/microphone-lavalier-beige/dp/MP33750?ost=mp33750

though you would need to change the connector.   Or these if you have some slack on the back order date

https://cpc.farnell.com/stageline/ecm-501l-sk/microphone-mini-xlr/dp/MP33611?ost=mp33611

If you need more headroom then try these 

https://cpc.farnell.com/jts/cm-201if/microphone-omni-lavalier-beige/dp/MP33730

though you would need to change the connector and the stock situation is not so good.

I have used the first type for both hairline and upper cheek mounts without problems. The cable is not the best but for the price ??

Brian

13 hours ago, PYROmaster said:

- Secondary question: Have mic prices always been that high on the brands? I am seeing £300-400+ for just the mic & cable....🙂

That's been my experience. 

We've had a couple of customers insist on getting a DPA or Sennheiser option. They sound good, but not ten times better than the cheapies.

Whilst a bit more durable, they can still break. One AmDram near us was nearly bankrupted when their youngsters managed to, err... de-terminate a brace of hired-in DPA headsets and the supplier charged the full RRP as a replacement cost. 

You could check out Rode as an option - they're better than the cheapies but a bit more realistically priced. One of our church customers swears by them, they had a pastor with a troublesome voice and found the Rode handled it much better. 

Thanks for your help so far!

I get slightly wary of the really cheap mics having used a customers set recently and the difference between them and the t.bone ones was night and day.
I may order one of each type and see what the difference is like.

It would be good to know if the 4pin is still compatable with a 3pin beltpack - that could open up more options if so, but I have been working under the assumtion that they are different connections so wont fit...

I will check out everything mentioned and see what may work for us 🙂 

Thanks!