Looking for lightweight active 10" speakers

dickiefunk

Hi,

I run sound for a number of different sized events from a single mic on stand for speech to full bands for audiences for around 400 people outdoors. I own a few different systems from three Alto TS210's - pair of FBT X-Lite 12a's - pair of Yamaha DXR15's + pair of QSC KW181 subs.

Over the past year or so I've been moving away from the larger events and mainly do sound for small acoustic acts and for speeches at corporate events etc. I haven't used the QSC KW181's for around 18 months and only used the DXR15's three times. For around 90% of my work I have just been using the Alto TS210's. These have been surprisingly good and I've used them for jazz trios and vocal ensembles where I've run piano, bass and 4 vocals through them at events with up to 100 people. One thing I've always been surprised at is how well these budget 10" speakers handle bass guitar. However, as more and more of my work just only requires 10" tops I am looking to upgrade and build a system where I can take out just the 10" tops for some events or add a pair of small lightweight subs if needed.

If possible I'd like this system (10" tops + small subs) to at least match the audio quality, output and depth of bass of the single pair of DXR15's. 

Due to a back injury I have a specific set of requirements for these speakers. I need them to be very lightweight as I will be using these in some venues where I have to carry these long distances with lots of steps. I also need at least one side handle with a vertical hand grip. Finally I need something that is going to be a step up from the Alto TS210's regarding audio quality, output and depth of bass whilst still having very low self noise.

I've been doing a little browsing online and have made this shortlist :-

Alto TS410

RCF HD10mkV

FBT Promaxx 110a

RCF 910AX (new upcoming model with built in digital mixer)

QSC K10.2

Are there any other models I've missed that you would recommend? I willing to spend roughly £800 per speaker.

Has anyone had any experience with more than just one of these options?

What would you recommend?

If you're looking at taking a small sub anyway, look at 8" tops. I had some EV ZXA1s at a previous job and they were loud/good quality/very light/easy to handle.

Of the rest of the list I'd be looking at the RCFs and the QSC. The Alto stuff is good for the money, but in my experience lacks the refinement to work well as a sound reinforcement box - for loud playback they're very usable though. I know a few folk who've had power supply issues with the RCF active speakers.

Thanks guys. 
I’m not planning on using the subs all the time. I am using just the single pair of Alto TS210’s by themselves for a large portion of events. I’ve heard there has also been quite a number of issues with the QSC K10.2 amp modules. 

What are your thoughts/experience with the FBT Promaxx 110a?

FBT's not a brand I've used. I may be wrong, but my impression has always been that they're a budget brand rather than a proper sound reinforcement speaker.

I would recommend getting a listen of the ZXA1s, they're a significant upgrade on any of the cheaper brands. Depending on what bass response you need, you may find they're ok without subs. I found they were absolutely fine for vocal/guitar type setups without subs.

16 hours ago, dickiefunk said:

I need them to be very lightweight as I will be using these in some venues where I have to carry these long distances with lots of steps. I also need at least one side handle with a vertical hand grip.

Not directly related to your question, but it might be worth looking into stair-climbing parcel trucks etc. No point in hand balling stuff any further than you have to. 

3 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

Not directly related to your question, but it might be worth looking into stair-climbing parcel trucks etc. No point in hand balling stuff any further than you have to. 

Have you any experience of such trucks?

We had a couple at work, everyone had a go with them and found them to be very cumbersome aspecially if there was any bends.

I've also seen how well they go down stairs and take some effort to stop them running away, especially if the tread is at all higher than the reach of the wheels and moreso than a conventional single wheel truck.

You mention you do a mix of things from acoustic acts to corporate speeches - Do you need the same system to cover both eventualities? 

I appreciate this isn't something I'd comprehend for music but for speech only corporate work I've done rooms of up to 150 people on a pair of EV S40s which were surprisingly effective and would be ultra lighweight. 

Just something to consider. 

James. 

I got caught out on a U3A job a several years back where I always front ended the installed system. I set up as normal on the balcony for about 250-300 theatre style, the chairperson did the usual house keeping and introduction then the guest speaker started. 5 minutes in big bang from the rack beside me and a blue smoke cloud from their amp.

All I had with me was a couple of Canford 361's (small diecast monitor thingies) turned round the one I was using as monitor and plugged the other in too.

I must say I was totally impressed, gobsmacked at how well they performed. I genuinly believe there was nothing wrong with performance or volume for the situation. It's quite a lively hall, I'd not have got away with it in a soft space.

I have done a number of much smaller jobs with them but I'd have never dreamt of going that far.

I have a motorhome with limited payload and use my TS210's with a single Proel S10a selected purely on the basis of its weight. It takes a stereo pair and provides a crossover meaning it takes some of the weight off the Alto's. Incredible low level bass. My last outing had a band equipped with 2xRCF12 and 2x15's subs playing as well. They were gobsmacked at the quality of the sound from such a lightweight configuration. Nowhere the power of the RCFs but they were wayyyyyyyyyy tooooooo loud for such a small venue and consequently had lots of walkouts. 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, kerry davies said:

Give a listen to a pair of HK Polar 10's or even 12's which might be a more flexible set-up.

Apologies for the hijack but have you compared the Polar 8s, are they usably loud, or any other seriously compact stick systems? (Ie smaller than Polar 10)

I’m narrowing my list down to the following options because weight is a huge factor for me.

RCF HD10a

FBT Promaxx 110a

I may also try the QSC K10.2 but I’m not sure about this one. I’ve read lots of users having reliability issues with the amp module though I don’t know which version of the firmware they were all using. Also, I’m not sure they would give me a noticeable step up in audio performance that would reflect the much higher price over both the RCF and FBT models?

Edited by dickiefunk