Yamaha p5000s volume control

halftonner

Hi all, I have a Yamaha P5000S amplifier whereby someone has managed to snap the volume control potentiometer.

I’ve opened it up and found that it’s a 5k ohm potentiometer with 31 steps to the rotation … but I’m struggling to find a replacement potentiometer that matches. … For the time being, I’ve been able to turn the broken control up to Max volume, so at least the amp can be used, but It would be nice to be able to put it back into normal service….

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy a replacement potentiometer? (Links would be even more helpful)

Worst case, I guess swap both potentiometers for new ‘non-stepped’ ones, and at that point I would need to know are they Logarithmic, or Linear tracks?

Just now, sandall said:

The service department of a Yamaha dealer would seem to be a good start. 

Fair point…. Though they will probably want to sell the entire PCB its mounted on. Forgive me for overlooking the obvious though of finding a service department - ** laughs out loud **

Whilst it may not be ideal, you don't absolutely need the type of pot with the detents. You may find it a lot easier to source one without. Also do try to contact Yamaha directly. I can't be sure but I think I've had component level spares from them in the past.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, kgallen said:

This any use unless you've already got it!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2378674/Yamaha-P5000s.html#manual

VR601 and VR602 but the schematic and parts list doesn't give any spec...

The parts list has them as 5K. If you can get to the board you can measure the diameter of the body and that usually determines a specific range. For example ALPS do a 16mm diameter range which has a 5K 16mm pot with 31 detents with the right arrangement of pins that looks like this... https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32951847929.html

You might have to put up with linear instead of log or vice versa but if you change both pots and dont often need to adjust them you should be fine.