Mac 250 bad DMX

Amy Worrall

The only other thing could be the  DMX Cables you could have pins 2 and 3 swapped in one of them this some times happens if you are mixing 5 / 3 XLR's even in purchsed ones so meter them out if you can. Other than that it might be a case of contacting a Mac supplier. Or you could try Encore ( Hawthorn's that was ) on 01664 821111 and ask one of the service teams.

On 8/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, pjrails said:

The only other thing could be the  DMX Cables you could have pins 2 and 3 swapped in one of them this some times happens if you are mixing 5 / 3 XLR's even in purchsed ones so meter them out if you can. Other than that it might be a case of contacting a Mac supplier. Or you could try Encore ( Hawthorn's that was ) on 01664 821111 and ask one of the service teams.

Doubt it’s that, it was working ok one day then not the next.

• Like 1

Does the 250 work ok using the menus? If so then it's likely the DMX transceiver chip (a 75176 etc) has failed. You might be able to verify this by measuring the resistance between pins 2&3 and between each of them and pin 1, then comparing what you find with a good fixture (all with the power off). You might well find it is much lower than it should be. Can't give you suggested values because it is very dependent on your meter and what voltage it outputs when measuring resistance but the values for two good fixtures will be in the same ballpark.

I'll need to get it out again to check the menus (have packed away that event now). I'm pretty sure it did work ok, but I only tried changing the DMX address since the issue happened.

DMX transceiver sounds likely. Do you know if it's fairly easy to access the pcb to get to it? I've opened the movers recently to change gobo and lenses, but not dug far enough into them to see a pcb!

Thanks for the troubleshooting guidance, I'll do that when I next have some time 🙂