Advice on Video Projection Equipment Please...........

Uriahdemon

Hi,

I have a few posts on this subject previously but unfortunately never landed on a solution.  I mention that as there will be lighting states happening as opposed to a dark scenario. I wondered that given I have a bit more direction on the requirements now if I stated them then that may help out on the advice received.

I am a lampy and have a decent rig and wish to add some visuals to the production.  I have been having a play with Resolume which allows me to control the lighting output via DMX on ethernet and would prefer to go down this route.  I have settled on the idea of a short throw projector (due to there not usually being much room on the stage) to a screen.

Can anyone please give me some advice on a package to get namely projector, screen and cabling.  The budget is reasonable but certainly not in the upper sphere.  I would like to be able to perhaps have 2 screens sat apart and not sure if I would need 2 projectors to do this.  Content however to stick with the one but will need to deal with drum kits sat in front of it.

Any advice really welcome please......??

Edited by Uriahdemon

Some information lacking, for a useful answer to your questions: how big are the two screens you would like to use, what's the total width, and what gap would you have in the middle (might help if you draw this out)? Are the screens flown or ground supported?

And what throw distance would you have for the projection? An ultra-short throw lens is typically around 0.39:1 (so .39m throw for 1m width, and will be a fixed ratio.

I'd suggest contacting any friendly rental AV companies you use for specifc models, you definitely don't want to be purchasing for a one off.

Your suggestion for control and playback is fine, I'd suggest mapping the master opacity to a DMX channel so you can enforce blackout if something goes wrong. There are other ways you can avert disaster, but that's a good start.

Edited by Anothertom

14 minutes ago, Anothertom said:

Some information lacking, for a useful answer to your questions: how big are the two screens you would like to use, what's the total width, and what gap would you have in the middle (might help if you draw this out)? Are the screens flown or ground supported?

And what throw distance would you have for the projection? An ultra-short throw lens is typically around 0.39:1 (so .39m throw for 1m width, and will be a fixed ratio.

I'd suggest contacting any friendly rental AV companies you use for specifc models, you definitely don't want to be purchasing for a one off.

Your suggestion for control and playback is fine, I'd suggest mapping the master opacity to a DMX channel so you can enforce blackout if something goes wrong. There are other ways you can avert disaster, but that's a good start.

Hi Anothertom thanks very much for the information.  I will try and provide the info requested.  

The size of the screens I am not sure about yet however if using one it needs to be at least 3m high and 4m wide.  This is something I am unsure about and flexible to get to the right place. If using two it would be 3m high and 2m wide.

The throw distance will change as some stage set ups are bigger than others and it is that flexibility I am after.  Also with the 1 or 2 screen and size options.  If I knew a minimum distance to achieve a decent projection then I will factor all that in for the set up and trussing.

Friendly AV companies mmmm, I am not sure of any AV companies near me or indeed if they are friendly or not.  Why would they take me through options if I were looking to do it on my own and they get no sale/hire at the end of it.....??

Mapping of master opacity noted and thanks. Always a good idea to be able to shut stuff off easily if not going as needed.

Thanks for all this, much appreciated  !!

So assuming you feed an 16:9 source to the projector and a .39:1 lens, that gives a rough estimate of 2.08m from the centre of the lens mirror to the surface, which is or isn't terrible depending on your space. And gives you 4 of the 16 to space the two screens if you went with that, or two screens that can be connected to make a single larger screen, for more flexibility. It's all about ratios, the further the projector from the screen, the bigger the screen can be.

At the very least hiring for a proof of concept before purchase. An AV hire company may also be a retail partner, who can assist with competitive pricing as well as any servicing you might need down the line.

Having just re-read everthing, I now realise you're not talking about theatrical production, which possibly gives more options for using longer throw lenses. But that would be dictated by each individual setup, rather than being able to say X lens will always be right. There are zoom lenses, but generally only once you get towards 1:1 or higher (i.e. more throw than projection width).

You can probably also get away with much smaller projectors, as you aren't directly competing with lights pointing at the screens and it won't be such an issue if the content gets blown out by a light every so often. Possibly some 5k's with small zoom lenses.