Anytronics Anylight interfaces programing

dmxlights

Does anyone know how to program a Anyligt interface or what sort of usb cable is needed. I have found the software but did not find much on the lead from the laptop/PC to the unit to program it.

image.jpeg.708bb66852b2745f2b2eceecebed470c.jpeg

I know it say in the manual for the software about usb serial and connect it to 2 wire connector on the unit but not much more

I've just had a quick look at the software folder from the Anytronics website and it would seem that the RS232 serial interface was an option - if it's fitted to your unit then I would imagine that almost any USB to Serial cable will work. If you're blessed with an older computer that still has a serial port then a null modem cable will likely work (it will have pins 2 & 3 crossed with pin 7 being TE).

The manual does talk about the unit having an RJ45 network connector & it appears to have a built in webserver - this would be the easiest & less hassle route I would think, either an ethernet crossover cable to connect direct to your laptop/PC or a small switch/hub with a couple of ethernet cables.

If you get really really stuck then call Anytronics - from previous experience dealing with them - they will go out of their way to help with support issues.

I did not see anything about the webserver been built in. I know the unit I have has RJ45 for DMX along with XLR's. from what I know this unit does not have the serial card. I will try and get a better look at the unit today at some point and see what it has.

10 hours ago, dmxlights said:

I did not see anything about the webserver been built in. I know the unit I have has RJ45 for DMX along with XLR's. from what I know this unit does not have the serial card. I will try and get a better look at the unit today at some point and see what it has.

I might have been inferring too much from the manual  but if the unit is programmable via a network then some sort of mini webserver is the best way to do it - saves faffing remembering port numbers and so on.

I got a photo of whats in side the one I want to program. There is 2 RJ45s on this unit but they are for DMX and well as the 2 XLRs. There is 2 preset panels connected to this. 2 dimmer packs and about 15 DMX led tape drivers.

From reading the manual need some sort of a usb serial that connects to the orange/black connector blocks at the top right to program it

IMG_20220324_121312_5 s.jpg

Edited by dmxlights

It looks like you have the older Anylight 64 interface then - reading the manual, you'll need a dongle from Anytronics to connect to a PC using the two wire interface. RS232 is always a minimum of 3 wires so to use two wire they've done something proprietary (probably something like I2C) so you will need their dongle.

Time to give them a call and see if they can supply one.

I am aware that serial is a minimum of 3 wires. I am thinking the serial is TTL and it was connected to some board that also need power so it got it ground from there. I am thinking of trying a TTL serial to usb on it. I am also hope to get time on Monday to ring them.

I did read about some sort a serial board for it somewhere and this is why I think its a board with a TTL Serial to RS232.  This board may use a MAX2323 chip or another chip like it.

Can you  remember can you download all presets to the computer from the Anylight unit

8 hours ago, dmxlights said:

I am aware that serial is a minimum of 3 wires. I am thinking the serial is TTL and it was connected to some board that also need power so it got it ground from there. I am thinking of trying a TTL serial to usb on it. I am also hope to get time on Monday to ring them.

I did read about some sort a serial board for it somewhere and this is why I think its a board with a TTL Serial to RS232.  This board may use a MAX2323 chip or another chip like it.

Can you  remember can you download all presets to the computer from the Anylight unit

I suspect as I said before that the Anytronics dongle is some sort of USB to I2C interface which is why an RS232 interface is "optional" - the controller onboard the Anylight has I2C inputs - just doing a level conversion via an interface isn't going to do the job - there will be other handshaking/protocol conversions to do as well.

I can't see any mention in the manual from the Anytronics download about being able to download presets from the Anylight to the PC - only from PC to the Anylight 😞

RS232 requires an extra interface card. I haven't seen one fitted before but your interface doesn't look to have any additional 'bits'. I suspect you don't have the RS-232 interface and will need to program from the outstations. The RJ45s are for DMX and the RJ12 on the card is a DALI interface.