Strand 520 unlock code

Stuart McKellar

1 hour ago, alistermorton said:

Blue room member theatremeister used to have a contact, I think.

Andy Syposz is also a member here, and is one of the very few people who might be able to point you in the right direction for this. But as David says .... good luck!

On 3/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, Stuart McKellar said:

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could a unlock code. Just need more channels 

We should be able to help out here. Please PM me the 18 digit serial number of the console (from what I can see, PRESS REPORT and this should display the serial number. Alternatively, I think it's in the configuration).

Edited by jonhole
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jonhole said:

We should be able to help out here. Please PM me the 18 digit serial number of the console (from what I can see, PRESS REPORT and this should display the serial number. Alternatively, I think it's in the configuration).

It's a serial number to unlock channels Jon - the console serial number plays a part in the unlock (I think there was another code that had to be quoted too - the unlock was a hashed number), Strand used to have a utility for doing it & for a while after the Philips acquisition they were doing "unlimited" channel unlocks to customers.

Bill Richards at Strand used to be the man but I don't know whether he's still working (at all or for Strand).

1 hour ago, ianknight said:

It's a serial number to unlock channels Jon - the console serial number plays a part in the unlock (I think there was another code that had to be quoted too - the unlock was a hashed number), Strand used to have a utility for doing it

Thanks Ian... it's been a long time since using a 520, and I've never done an unlock... but I've asked around the offices and I've found someone with the utility!

1 hour ago, ianknight said:

Bill Richards at Strand used to be the man but I don't know whether he's still working (at all or for Strand).

Bill no longer works for Strand, he left before I joined.

• Like 1

Is the utility "generally available" Jon, or is it by application only? There are still GSX/LBX, 300/500 series and so on desks out there which are still being used by amateur groups who maybe only do a handful of shows a year, and being able to expand their channel counts could keep these groups (who maybe can't afford an up to date desk) afloat.

3 hours ago, alistermorton said:

There are still GSX desks out there which are still being used by amateur groups who maybe only do a handful of  one or two shows a year, and being able to expand their channel counts could keep these groups (who maybe defiantly can't afford an up to date desk) afloat.

Very true.

I'd love to upgrade my  25 channel GSX to the full 125 Channels.

Cheers

Gerry

The 18 digit security code (unique for each console) is embedded in the 36 digit password.  This password can be set to unlock channels (increments of 25) and applications, Communique, Kaleidoscope, GenPro, networker etc for a particular security chip.  Hence each password is unique to each console.   All applications are in the consoles, they just need unlocking.

From my memory of being at Strand, the password generator (Dos based software) required a dongle (ye olde type of ye 25 pins variety in the parallel port) to work.  No idea if the original password generator facility was "updated" to be used on post windows 98 PCs without the need for a dongle.

K.

• Like 1