ETC Ion servicing

sclg

We have an Ion which, while currently working, is behaving a little strangely. We'd like it serviced and the firmware updated.

Neither Stage Electric (our nearest agent) nor ETC will even consider booking it in over the next three months and even then suggest they would want it for a month at least!

Any suggestions?
(Can't say we are impressed with this level of customer service!)

Thanks

13 hours ago, sclg said:

We have an Ion which, while currently working, is behaving a little strangely. We'd like it serviced and the firmware updated.

Neither Stage Electric (our nearest agent) nor ETC will even consider booking it in over the next three months and even then suggest they would want it for a month at least!

Any suggestions?
(Can't say we are impressed with this level of customer service!)

Thanks

I'd be tempted to say talk to WhiteLight Service Dept - they should be able to offer a realistic timeframe & possibly a loan/hire desk, they're also a main distributor for ETC so they have manufacturer support. They'll probably be able to offer an onsite option if you're loathe to let the desk out of your sight too.

I've never been inside an Ion nor ever had any ETC service experience so there's no point in me offering to look for you.

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. I've just checked with our Service Dept and we have about a 2 week turnaround time on consoles at the moment. Can I suggest you drop us a line and we'll see what we can do to get you sorted out?

ETC Ltd Technical Services Dept
techservltd@etcconnect.com
0208 753 0984

Thanks Rory @ ETC

Personal experience is that ETC are reluctant to deal directly with service requests - they prefer you to go through a dealer. Unless the desk needs any complex work, you might be able to find an ETC dealer with a service department which could deal with it in-house?

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, it might be worth considering doing it yourself (depending on what you're classing as 'strange behaviour', of course - maybe explain a bit more?!). You've missed the boat for the hardware upgrade to allow Ion Classics to run Win7 now - that deadline was months ago. But you can still push the software right up to v2.9.2 even on an older WinXP console. In terms of firmware, the update process is the same, you'll be able to see in the shell which bits of firmware need updating.

If you're thinking about opening it up to hoover the dust out, check connectors, etc. - it's do-able but be aware that Ion Classics are absolute pains in the butt to open - nowhere near as simple as just undoing a couple of screws and opening up a clamshell like on the rest of the range! ETC have published a guide to opening up an Ion Classic - if you can't find it to download on their website, let me know, I think I still have a copy of it floating about on a hard drive somewhere.

5 hours ago, gareth said:

If you're thinking about opening it up to hoover the dust out, check connectors, etc. - it's do-able but be aware that Ion Classics are absolute pains in the butt to open - nowhere near as simple as just undoing a couple of screws and opening up a clamshell like on the rest of the range! ETC have published a guide to opening up an Ion Classic - if you can't find it to download on their website, let me know, I think I still have a copy of it floating about on a hard drive somewhere.

There's also a video guide on the ETC Tech Serv Underground youtube channel.

OK, so it's not an Avo "few screws and a hinge" job, but didn't involve special tools or techniques and as with all desks these days it's just a desktop computer in a fancy case. Certainly a lot more easier to clean and service than a Playstation 5 haha.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, gareth said:

Personal experience is that ETC are reluctant to deal directly with service requests - they prefer you to go through a dealer. Unless the desk needs any complex work, you might be able to find an ETC dealer with a service department which could deal with it in-house?

It is true that we rarely allow consoles to come direct back to us from customers if they need a repair, that side needs to go thru our dealer network. We are simply not set up to deal direct with everyone that buys ETC equipment.  However, we are always happy to troubleshoot issues via email or over the phone. Once we know what an issue is we can then decide if it needs to be looked at further which is when we will suggest it going via a dealer. In this case I wonder when the desk was last re-imaged?

Whilst we do currently have a number of delays in repairs due to the state of everything in the world at the moment, consoles are usually turned around very quickly and we often have loaners available if time is short or if we have a delay getting hold of parts.

Steve

ETC 

• Like 1