HDMI over CAT7

TimmyTee

The Chinese vendor has been back in touch. They say the description is wrong and it can't achieve the 50m. By way of an apology, they are sending me a 100m unit free of charge.

I really can't complain about that. Providing it works!

Almost make me want to ask for a link to the unit so I can get a second free toounsure.gif

The Chinese vendor has been back in touch. They say the description is wrong and it can't achieve the 50m. By way of an apology, they are sending me a 100m unit free of charge.

I really can't complain about that. Providing it works!

Almost make me want to ask for a link to the unit so I can get a second free toounsure.gif

The new unit arrived today. Externally the only difference I can see, apart from different case printing, is that both the RX and TX have a power supply.

"Does it work?"

With flying colours! Very sharp images on my TV which is capable of much higher res than our projector.

Did I say it was 100m? My mistake, they sent me a 150m unit. I'm off to write some glowing feedback.

As it was sent outside Amazon in the end, I don't have an exact link. here is what appears to be identical SPANISH AMAZON and UK AMAZON

The drawings on the first listing show via a switch, is it IP rather than HDBaseT?

It is IP.

What's the latency like? We've got some HDMI-IP ethernet converters and the latency makes them hard to use in a show or for KVM style jobs.

Connected to my TV from across a room via 48m of Cat7, I didn't notice any latency, but I wasn't sending anything too meaty through. My main concern was how well it reproduced the resolution and the colours, both were more than adequate for our needs. I didn't bother checking the audio as we won't be sending that via the HDMI.

We'll be using it to project backdrops via a short throw projector on stage, maybe some short videos, but mostly still images.

I didn't have massive expectations of this bit of cheap kit, but it seems to perform better than expected. The true test will be how it performs in a 2.5 show with a heaped tablespoon of Murphy's Law. It's Am-Dram, a few glitches are part of the entertainment.

One thing that I'm certain about. It will outperform the old 25 metre VGA set-up we had previously. But that's no great claim.

• 9 months later...

Having come on here to ask a question in another section, I realised I never followed up on this. 

The unit performed impeccably, can't be said for the cast and crew on the production. Now that some time has passed, I can look back and laugh.

The person designated to operate the video had to drop out of the first performance, their stand-in was briefed and everything set up so that all they had to do was press the space bar at appropriate moments.

The disaster was no way down to them, rather to the stage manager, who for some reason that only they know, decided to climb a ladder halfway through the second act. On the way down, they somehow managed to kick the RCD disabling, amongst other things, the projector. That was quickly rectified, but unfortunately the video software defaulted to a single monitor output and the operator had no idea how to rectify it. I was unable to leave my post which left me watching a train crash in slow motion.

I suppose I should have realised things weren't going well when 5 minutes before curtain up, a child in the audience got their finger trapped in a cup holder on their seat. 

Those were the highlights of the show. It was really one to forget. I almost have, but not quite.

2 hours ago, TimmyTee said:

Having come on here to ask a question in another section, I realised I never followed up on this. 

The unit performed impeccably, can't be said for the cast and crew on the production. Now that some time has passed, I can look back and laugh.

The person designated to operate the video had to drop out of the first performance, their stand-in was briefed and everything set up so that all they had to do was press the space bar at appropriate moments.

The disaster was no way down to them, rather to the stage manager, who for some reason that only they know, decided to climb a ladder halfway through the second act. On the way down, they somehow managed to kick the RCD disabling, amongst other things, the projector. That was quickly rectified, but unfortunately the video software defaulted to a single monitor output and the operator had no idea how to rectify it. I was unable to leave my post which left me watching a train crash in slow motion.

I suppose I should have realised things weren't going well when 5 minutes before curtain up, a child in the audience got their finger trapped in a cup holder on their seat. 

Those were the highlights of the show. It was really one to forget. I almost have, but not quite.

Gie it another year or twenty and you'll still be saying... 'do you remember that show where...'😃