Gantry "Reds" width

Tiny700

Evening all, like many productions we're having to adapt warehouses to sound stages.

There's a bit of to'ing and fro'ing about gantry walkway widths.

What is the 'legal' requirement? Should we go by CDM Regs and it be 1200mm?

Any help greatly received

First things first, how are you suspending gantries and will the roof take it? Only asking 'cos I had to get a structural engineering firm in to a so-called purpose built arena in which the architects had not allowed for any lifting capacity at all. In a warehouse conversion I would be pleasantly surprised if you could hang anything substantial off the roof.

Next the standard being 1200mm you should find it easier and cheaper to source than bespoke items but at the end of the day it all comes down to what your clients require and we don't know that. Bear in mind it isn't just the people up there but what they do and what kit they do it with.

Apologies if this is being over-simplistic but this is an internet forum.

First things first, how are you suspending gantries and will the roof take it? Only asking 'cos I had to get a structural engineering firm in to a so-called purpose built arena in which the architects had not allowed for any lifting capacity at all. In a warehouse conversion I would be pleasantly surprised if you could hang anything substantial off the roof.

I don't think that because somebody wants to know the width of the catwalk, they're inherently unsuitable for determining the rigging requirements...

As for roof loads in a warehouse... my unit has a roof capacity of 60 tons... most of my neighbours the same. We all have gantry cranes and some people's sit on pillars, others hang from the roof. Modern warehouses I agree it's less common. But again I rigged a well known international circus with 75 ton show weight in an old warehouse without any crane, two years ago. I wouldn't consider it surprising at all - many warehouses have strong roofs.

Edited by dje

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated.

We've converted a couple of warehouses into stages with full scaffold gantries as the roofs cannot take any weight other than 'snow weight'!

1200mm is pretty standard and we have used them for ground level, fire lanes, it was the 'reds' that were a point of discussion as the stages we are in here have the capacity for roof loads and have used 600mm in the past but our lighting etc want 1200.

To be honest I am trying for a 'black and white' solution to stop the arguing and if there was any standard within 'the industry'? :)

Edited by Tiny700