VL1000 replacement

Bryson

There are some old threads on this but the state of the art moves on, so...

I'm looking at replacing some VL1000s. if anyone has done this recently, what should I consider?

I'm already looking at:

•  
  • VL1100 LED
  • High End Solaframe Theatre
  • Martin MAC Encore Performance WRM

I do need it to be quiet, (concert hall application) and I need the "tungsten" look to match existing fixtures. The VL1000s I'm replacing are a mix of shutter and iris models. Both in the same fixture would be nice. Any other fixtures you think I should consider?

I'll give it a look. Mike Wood's review implies that it's too loud (approx. 50dB or 45 in "Silent" mode, vs mid/high twenties for the Solaframe/VL offerings). TBF, the Encore is similar.

We found the Eurus way too loud. In the different modes the light output is reduced to save heat, by the time you reduce the fan low enough you're paying for a lot of output you just can't use. We've recently purchased some Elation Picassos for FOH and they seem to be behaving well at the moment.

https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/maverick-silens-2-profile/ is interesting. Not played with them that much in the wild yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Late to the party, but had a demo with the High End SolaFrame Studio, which is the super quiet version of the SolaFrame Theatre. When static, they were silent. Small amount of noise with movement etc, but great unit - very wide angle and punchy. Also fantastic, and which we ended up purchasing, are the GLP S350s, which have a slightly smaller footprint. White Light may be able to organise a demo for you, as it really is the best to see the units in action.

Thanks all. A couple of things there I hadn't previously considered so I'm going to take a look at them as well.

One manufacturer actually reached out to me to show me an unreleased (as yet) product that fits the bill pretty well, so that was interesting!

I'm not actually in the UK, so White Light probably don't want to demo for me, but we have plenty of contacts at the distributors! ;)

It's not a new option or anything but what about VL1100 TS/TI?

For me it's a fantastic fixture... I really do think optically it outperforms pretty much anything else of the same application. You get the tungsten look you desire (obviously) and very quiet movement that's geared towards the market you're operating in.

I'm also happy to report they do not share the reliability issues of their predecessor, the ones I had in a theatre a few years ago were nigh on maintenance-free.