Production Management.

I have been set a module to find out about prodution managment with no teaching guidance. But I'm having trouble trying to find information on the subject. Is it the same as stage Management? as I can find plently of info on this. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction on this subject for sites on the the internet.

I can recommend Peter Dean's book; Production Management - making shows happen.

You can get it from Amazon http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1861264518.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also, the Stage Works Web site has lots of interesting stuff about peoples roles in creating a show including, in the His Dark Materials section, an interview with one of the Production Managers at the National.

The ABTT Web Site includes in the Training section an article entitles So You Want to Work Backstage which describes many different roles including that of Production Manager.

• 4 weeks later...

Try thinking of the Production Manager as the link in the chain between the Producer and the Stage Manager. The book above subtitled 'Making Shows Happen' says it all really.

P.S. I'm using the word 'Producer' in the modern meaning not in the old fashioned meaning when it was sometimes synonymous with Director. The Producer sets budgets and ensures the show doesn't lose too much money (occasionally makes money), the Prod Mgr makes sure there is a set, there are crew and everything that's supposed to happen happens.

hi I'm guessing your wanting information on theatre but I'm currently doing a major project on the role of a production manager for a feature film. Two great books that I have found are Film Production Management 101 by Deborah S. Patz and Production Management for Film and Video. Although these books do relate to film and television there is quite a bit of information that could co-relate to theatre. Hope this helps.

Archived