Something better than castors?

Replace the swivel castors on one side with fixed ones. Two fixed and two swivel castors underneath means that you can steer your trolley.

On behalf of all users ever, please don't. This just makes movement harder for the rest of time whilst saving maybe £4 on initial purchase

Everyone's experience is different, of course, but, depending on the weight and size of the base, I've found two fixed and two swivel work very well,

Replace the swivel castors on one side with fixed ones. Two fixed and two swivel castors underneath means that you can steer your trolley.

On behalf of all users ever, please don't. This just makes movement harder for the rest of time whilst saving maybe £4 on initial purchase

Everyone's experience is different, of course, but, depending on the weight and size of the base, I've found two fixed and two swivel work very well,

Nothing worse than getting to a corner with a load weighing half a ton and not being able to get round it because 2 of the wheels are not casters.

In open space maybe but once you're on a trajectory or stuck in a corner it's a nightmare to get out of.

Much as I liked themadhippy’s suggestion of a hovercraft, it would probably be cheaper to extend the workshop so I didn’t need to move the trolley at all!

I’ve ordered a set of four swivel castors (2 with brakes) from Ross Castors. I don’t need something that’ll go in a straight line for 100m, I need it to be very manouverable, so swivel castors it is.

Sadly the omni wheels from Australia seem to have put on a lot of pounds on the journey from here to there (the price in AUD is quite good… GBP not so much!)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, much appreciated.

Tom

On a presentation room installation we had a pair of lecterns built to match the wooden panelling. They were made to the consultants design/specification and were to be stored in a cupboard. Right from the beginning we altered the caster arrangement to 4 from 2 plus 2 fixed wheels, the consultant blew his top when he found out and contacted our cabinet maker to change back to his design.

These lecterns were 1.1m wide x 600mm deep, the cupboard was originally a coridor with a standard single door at each end of the 'stage' back wall and was 900mm wide. In other words it had to be pushed through the door and turned so the door could be shut and by the time it was fully populated with PC's, screens, CD players etc. it weighed well over 1 CWT, probably nearer to 2CWT.

After commissioning the system we deliberately struggled to place the lecterns in the cupboard in preparation for the consultant to demonstrate and hand over the new AV system, we aslo ensured we had printed copies of the email trail in our on site file in we needed to refer to it.

Consultant demonstrated the basic radiomic part of the system then started bringing a lectern out, customer immediately stated it was unacceptable when they saw how impossible it was to manouver.

So we were tasked with the snagging and quoted the consultant to make the changes. The casters and wheels were mounted on a metal frame which was lowered to lift the wood off the floor for moving and raised to the woodwork say directly on the floor while in use and changing the wheels for casters meant stripping the kit from the lectern, tipping it onto its back (but it had to be manually lifted then tipped to avoid placing weight on some delicate trims), removing the metal frame and taking them to the cabinet maker for alteration (cutting and welding) including fitting casters... A very expensive mistake for someone.

Haven't we all struggled with the trollies in the likes of Wickes?

Edited by sunray