It's been a while....

badidea

Hi all,

I was a big part of Blue Room around 10 years ago but after touring and moving on to other things, I drifted away and haven't touched a lighting console in a long time. I haven't really done a whole lot since the Mac 250 was still shiny.

A drastic change from the days gone by, I'm now living in the US Caribbean and own a few businesses. I'm looking to give back to the community which has suffered greatly over the past few years with hurricanes, and of course, Covid.

Although I am Scottish born and bred, I understand the main target group of the Blue Room is the UK audience. If there are any US-based members around who would be kind enough to assist in answering a couple of questions, along with my UK counterparts.

I'd like to throw a little money at purchasing used equipment to light up the local architecture, and potentially bring back the good old days by hosting an outdoor event as we are almost back to normal down here. Once used, I'm planning to donate it all. I have access to a barge that we can float in to a deep beach to host a 'distanced' sunset gig for a few hundred people.

So I pose two questions;

- Where on the east coast of the US can I pick up decent used gear? Namely simple lighting fixtures, whether intelligent or not.

- Back in the day, the go-to was a Fat Frog, Mac spots and washes and a few par cans. What is simple, effective equipment in 2021 to light up a few small exterior landmarks?

Unfortunately, there is literally no gear rental spots on any island around here!

I'm on the right continent, but up in the frozen North. I actually designed a job in the Cayman Islands last year but sadly, there was no site visit....just a lot of drawings.

https://www.usedlighting.com is ok. Or https://gearsource.com

Or, given that you're in the Caribbean, I assume Florida is your nearest state, (Or maybe Texas?). You might have more luck approaching a local supplier to wherever it is that's convenient for you to access and see if their network of contacts is trying to shift older gear. Given the current state of the live ents industry, I imagine they might be somewhat motivated to shift older inventory that's sitting around doing nothing.

Fixture wise, I'd be looking for some RGB LED pars or dedicated uplighter units. Maybe some of the smaller moving heads like Chauvet Rogues, maybe. I see Mac 101s are dirt cheap these days. They're old but they pump out light and move, so probably will do the job. Control it all from a small Chamsys console, or maybe a Hog or ETC EOS PC wing. MA stuff is favoured but holds value very well so not many bargains to be had secondhand.