OBS recordings - very jerky on playback

Ynot

This may be a settings thing that I've not yet found, but I used OBS yesterday at my wife's primary school - basically stuck each one of the gazillions of yr 1 and 2 kids on a table and filmed them from my HD web cam in front of green screen then super-imposed that onto a background of a looped Snowman flying (a-la Aled Jones etc).

Recorded using the OBS option, which recorded in the .mlk format.

Wasn't til I got back and looked at the files that I realised that they're all playing very jerkily - seems that the video element sort of pauses at times then catches up and then repeats.

These are only very short segments - max about a minute each, mostly around 20 to 30 secs. But it's rather annoying.

Anyone any ideas what could have caused this?

I doubt there's a fix (and no way can we repeat the exercise to re-film)...

I have 2 computers that play back exactly like that, and the actual recordings are fine, it is some problem with the codec used by OBS - possibly it used h265 or something which my computer can't decode fast enough.

Try re-encoding to mp4 using Handbrake or something ... you might find that it plays fine then.

Try adjusting the encoder settings in output for recording and I personally have found that on my mac using a hardware encoder helps and keep the bit rate for streaming and recording down too:

Apologies for the side-track but what hardware encoder on a Mac works with OBS? Is it separate hardware or is one of the graphics cards compatible?

I've concluded that the problem is (was) that the laptop just didn't have enough 'grunt' in the graphics card to render the green-screen live.

I'd already tried the files on my bigger home desktop and a couple of other machines in various players (incl VLC) and no change at all, so gotta suck it up and make best of what I got.

It's only for a primary school Xmas thing for the kids and they loved doing it anyway.