Lighting Board with 8 Pin DIN

Nachtmaken

I don't know much about the green ginger 610 micro pack (never used one), but was it not a 6 Channel Dimmer (with 2 outlets per channel)? If so, I'm not sure whether a 12 Channel Controller would be needed by the OP. I do have a 6 Channel Pulsar Analog Controller (wired) and wondered whether it would be a simple task for the OP to re-arrange the wiring (internally and at the 8 pin Din plug) to meet the Green Ginger standard?

Edit: I'm assuming here that the Green Ginger Pack does provide the +10V to power the controller rather than the controller being self powered.

Edited by erik10_4

I'm assuming here that the Green Ginger Pack does provide the +10V to power the controller rather than the controller being self powered.

The 6-channel Anytronics & Zero88 analogue desks take their power (+15v) from the dimmer pack. The standard (non-Pulsar) rack convention is channels 1-6 In on pins 1-6, +15v Out on pin 7, 0v on pin 8. The 4-channel GG MicroPacks supplied +15v (on pin 5 of a 6-pin DIN), so I would imagine the 6-channel ones have it on pin 7. I forget what the Pulsar convention was, but it should be easy enough to rewire the back of the desk DIN socket to make it "standard" (suitably labelled of course).

I'm assuming here that the Green Ginger Pack does provide the +10V to power the controller rather than the controller being self powered.

The 6-channel Anytronics & Zero88 analogue desks take their power (+15v) from the dimmer pack.

Legacy Z88 consoles could be powered from +20v supply on pin 7 of the DIN connectors. Z88 dimmers could supply +20v or -20v on pin 7 depending on the controller used.

Edward

Edited by Edward- Z88

The 6-channel Anytronics & Zero88 analogue desks take their power (+15v) from the dimmer pack.

Legacy Z88 consoles could be powered from +20v supply on pin 7 of the DIN connectors. Z88 dimmers could supply +20v or -20v on pin 7 depending on the controller used.

Yes, sorry, it's the 4-channel (presumably also the 6-channel?) GG MicroPacks that produce a +15v output. I had forgotten that Z88 were +20v, though I seem to remember successfully controlling an old MicroPack from a Z88 Level-6 desk. What voltage does the Pulsar desk expect?

Yes, sorry, it's the 4-channel (presumably also the 6-channel?) GG MicroPacks that produce a +15v output. I had forgotten that Z88 were +20v, though I seem to remember successfully controlling an old MicroPack from a Z88 Level-6 desk. What voltage does the Pulsar desk expect?

According to a datasheet I still have the Pulsar desks operate from +14-25VDC in (on Pin 1), The output voltage however is from 0-10V at Din Channel Pins.

Pulsar Datasheet

Edited by erik10_4

According to a datasheet I still have the Pulsar desks operate from +14-25VDC in (on Pin 1)

Assuming the Pulsar's DIN cable is screened (I hadn't realised the 6-way came with a captive cable) it might be easier to just rewire the MicroPack's socket to Pulsar standard. Ideally you would rewire the DIN plug, but rewiring an 8-pin DIN, shifting the cable screen to the centre pin, can be quite a fiddly exercise.

Assuming the Pulsar's DIN cable is screened (I hadn't realised the 6-way came with a captive cable) it might be easier to just rewire the MicroPack's socket to Pulsar standard. Ideally you would rewire the DIN plug, but rewiring an 8-pin DIN, shifting the cable screen to the centre pin, can be quite a fiddly exercise.

On the two Pulsar desks that I had, the captive cable was just into simple screw terminals on the PCB inside. It was a far easier job to change that around than go soldering DINs.

According to a datasheet I still have the Pulsar desks operate from +14-25VDC in (on Pin 1)

That's very true (in the past, I've had lots of fun (not!) doing delicate soldering on the DIN). It is easy to rewire inside the Pulsar Controller however as, if I remember correctly, the wires are on screw terminals.

It is easy to rewire inside the Pulsar Controller however as, if I remember correctly, the wires are on screw terminals.

But you still need to get the screen onto pin 8 in the plug :(

If the cable has 8 cores internally - you don't need the screen. For the voltage levels involved - the 'noise protection' offered by a screen won't be needed - trust me.

If the cable has 8 cores internally - you don't need the screen. For the voltage levels involved - the 'noise protection' offered by a screen won't be needed - trust me.

Yes, if it's 8-core cable you don't really need a screen, though if there is one I would make sure that one end is tied to 0v, but it's definitely worth checking that it's not soldered to pin 2 on the plug.