Chinese Coaxial Speakers

paulears

alibaba

I've always had a fondness for coaxial speakers - Tannoy's really, but they're out of favour nowadays. I saw this on Alibaba - a fairly normal looking woofer with a HF compression driver mounted externally. What a clever design feature and bi-amp0 capable which you couldn't do Wirth the Tannoy design.

I wonder what they sound like?

Tannoy just released some new Chinese made GOLD speakers and no doubt the patents are now in the far east so can be replicated. Old Gold and Red speakers still command high prices but I just picked up some 80's Stratfords for £50 the pair and the actualy pair of Oxfords that I owned 30 years ago for just £75 and they both sound far more detailed and better than my Dynaudio BM10's.

https://www.tannoy.com/product.html?modelCode=P0C2C

We had SRM 15 at Teddington and YTV and suspect they went in the skip too but are worth thousands these days as they are still held in high esteem.

My own Soho dubbing facility Plus 8 Digital Post had DMT 12 and 8's everywhere and I was a big fan of them. I think a broadcast mag did a feature on me in the late 1990's

I supplied some VX12's last summer as replacements for some DMT12's (they had been used in a disco and the drivers destroyed)..and these were not bi-amp-able. Made in Scotland apparently, and very nicely finished. Two of them were damaged by the courier; one was replaced under warranty (cabinet dented) and the other repaired, handled by Kidderminster within 2 days.