Lanbox Lcx

Ben Lawrance

I was lucky enough to be able to have a chat to the techs at the dance show I went to see the other night.

After have a bit of a chat, I then said, "Where is your lighting board" looking at a big gap on the worktop.

The chap picked up his laptop case and said "It's in here"

He had used his laptop, and a little thing called the LANBOX-LCX (that comes with free software)

He told me he had control over 512 channels, and it does all of the functions that I top end board does, and just hits the space bar on cue.

After being told about such a thing, I then went to the website he gave me, and was gobsmacked when I saw it there for 550 Euro's (or £395 in GBR)

This sounds too good to be true.

Has anyone got one or ever used one before, cause I am seriously thinking about getting one.

Cheers

sounds to me much like a DMX output of some kind (much liek those in the DMX PC interface conversation going on) with a simple lightinbg board program on the lap top to control the equipment. I have used this sort of thing before and was very impressed, hence the reason for me wanting to build my own interface.

if you have a link I would be very interested to see how this one is done and what type of interface and software is being used.

Ben

We have one at Bruford for doing weird and wonderful stuff with Ethernet and MIDI to DMX. If anyone saw the old light console at the ABTT show, the Lanbox was there - I think it stopped working between leaving Bruford and being set up on the stand though. :stagecrew:

I have used laptop show control before and its fine for running each show but a pain in the arse to program / edit etc. Remember its cheap for a reason! It can be a good back up system though or as a stop gap before venue funding appears.

I also found it kept crashing while I was playing the Sims... strange...

adam

• 8 months later...
sounds to me much like a DMX output of some kind (much liek those in the DMX PC interface conversation going on) with a simple lightinbg board program on the lap top to control the equipment. I have used this sort of thing before and was very impressed, hence the reason for me wanting to build my own interface

No, absolutely not. The LanBox does all the heavy work, and can run completely stand-alone. LCedit+ is just a front-end that controls the LanBox, using a documented command set you can also use for customized control from any program that can do serial or TCP (depending on how you connect to the LanBox). If you're really in a weird mood, you could even tweak the firmware itself (it's a full ANSI-Forth system).

The main complaint is indeed that LCedit+ isn't exactly the greatest editor in the world yet. However we still continually update it and its documentation. Since the previous post on this thread, there has been a major new release that makes editing much easier, and there's a new tutorial too. All software and firmware updates are free of charge.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

Matthijs van Duin -- www.lanbox.com

Archived