Meyer UPA1p Repaired horns

Bad_Rock

Hi all.

I'd like to ask what to do in case some euforic musician might blow my UPA horn. I just had the new that Meyer Sound dont sell spared parts. So it means you send it to them to repair it or buy a whole new Horn ( even when the only thing you need its the diaphragma ). That cost over 750 dollars when a regular diaphragma from some other competitor might cost from 120 to 200 bucks.

Let's say you refuse to buy a new Horn and you refuse to send it to Meyer labs to reair it ( it might take you lot of money or lot of time depending the option ).

WHAT TO DO?

Thanx!

Try and find out where meyer source their diaphragms from. If they make them in house I would think you're stuck up a certain creek without a paddle.

Or try to find a similarly specced diaphragm that will fit.

We've looked into becoming a Meyer Authorised repair centre in the UK. Not happening. As you say you either do it their way, or try and source your own bits to fit.

That said as the UPA's are are powered with their own limiters etc, and are matched to the amp, you'd have to be really trying to blow the drivers in them.

Bad Rock,

a) if you are using the original UPAs with the correct controllers and correct gain amplifiers (26dB I believe?) then they are pretty bullet proof. If you are not using the correct kit, then start saving up for spares now ;-)

If you are using the powered version, then amp and control are integral, and it should be even harder to blow up.

b) Using a top dollar box generally means you buy into top dollar spares. Meyer would like all their boxes to sound the same (and not have them repaired with low cost unmatched drive units). OK, so not everyone mends their posh car with original manufacturers parts, but in this case it makes sense for a UPA to be a UPA, not something that looks like one but sounds poor.

As far as I remember, original UPAs had Yamaha diaphragms, but every HF unit would be tested and only those meeting Meyer spec would be used. There must be a reject comp drive unit mountain outside their warehouse :-)

Simon

Meyer's HF drivers for the UPA-1 were orignally made by Radian in the USA, however they are now made in-house - so as for buying spares or finding an alternative diaphragm, no chance.

Your best best is to contact the Meyer rep in your country - if you're UK then Autograph Sales are the best to try as I know they have replacement HF drive units on the shelf.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

MeyerSound and the UK guys that look after Meyer will generally do everything they can to sort out any problems you have with any of their products. You've got a true high end pro-audio product and certainly Autograph ( www.autograph.co.uk ) or Amber Sound ( www.ambersound.co.uk ) will do everything in their power to get you out of any problem you may have. If you are elsewhere I'm sure that the local agent will do the same - if not just call or mail Meyer tech support and I'd be very very suprised if they didn't get you sorted out.

BUT you really shouldn't be worried about destroying drivers in Meyer powered boxes, I've been using the powered boxes for a number of years and had no problem with drivers being blown ( the early amps on the powered subs did provide a couple of probs for the first couple of months - but I think most if not all have been swapped our for a later revision amp. )

Hope this helps reassure you!

Thank you guys for your help. But I think that only the ones that work with electronic music dj's will fully understand me. Last saturday ( 2 days ago ) one dude came from out of town to play music. He had my upa's as monitoring but in the sound check when I saw this guy using the mixer with all the leds in red I changed my mind and I called one of my guys to change it for some other "warfare" equipment. Then I brought 1 Jbl 4733 ( 2x15" + 2" ) then I put it right behind his head. Hours later this guy was killng himself with the sound even the light technician had to leave the booth cus he couldnt handle such an ear pain.

His testimony said " even my bones were hurting". So imagine with such creatures you can have a bullet proof speaker ;)

I dont think will use the UPAs for long :unsure: Proly b4 the end of the year they will be looking for some new home.

I dont think  will use the UPAs for long ;) Proly b4 the end of the year they will be looking for some new home.

Even so, I think the UPAs would still survive... however, the boxes are possibly not what you need, will bring you bad luck and er... you need to give them away to restore your fortunes...

Luckily, I can think of just the person who could take them off your hands ;-)

Simon

I dont think  will use the UPAs for long :) Proly b4 the end of the year they will be looking for some new home.

change the client type which you work with, or plug their stuff into your own mixer and then into the amps - that way YOU have control.

Maybe not quite the right box! The UPA's wern't designed to nail your b%lls to the wall all night! I've used UPA & UPJ as club DJ mons and have always been OK, but the guys who want a stack of Funktion One a side as monitors won't want UPA's!

Also the 'paper shufflers' of this world would have issues with you supplying kit that could make your bones hurt!

If they need a new home can I be in the que for them!

Well I tried before to plug their stuff to my mixing desk so " I HAVE THE POWER" but the signal was so distored that blew the boxes anyway. By now I found the best thing its to put a very big box as monitor ( like the jbl 4733) and set it to go up everytyime he turns the volume up on the dancefloor ( with no chance for that beast to turn the monitor down).

Btw my Upas are brand new I only took them out at night 2 times. I will sell it for sure pretty soon but im not in the UK. Too bad they are so cheap here ; )

Archived