"Chicago" illuminated sign

Barney

Hi all,

I have been tasked with looking into a Chicago illuminated sign for an upcoming production in June. Ideally, I'd like some LX control over each letter, but it's not crucial. Does anyone have something available that they would be willing to either hire (10 days) or sell on? You know the sort of thing - the letters made up of individual lamps.

Size-wise, I would guess something like 2 metres / 8 ft or so across would be fine. The venue doesn't have fly bars per se, so we would need to find a way of dropping it in when required / hiding it when not. All do-able though (and has been done before).

There was talk of projecting this onto the cyc instead, but I'd rather have a physical sign.

If there is nothing available, can anyone recommend a place to go to get this manufactured for a fair price? If we went down this route I'd probably look at LED options, to allow for colour changing etc. Budget is currently reasonably negotiable but it's still am-dram.

Thanks,

Barney

Thanks Jon,

That's certainly one option I can look at. Do you have any particular recommendations for decent addressable festoon?

In the most simplistic version, I guess I'm looking at a string of about 70-80 lamps to make up all the lettering...

Barney

Edited by Barney

Pitlochry Festival Theatre did Chicago in 2018, and the set design incorporated a sign just like what you describe, with each letter individually controllable. Can be seen in the photo on this page - https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2018/chicago-review-pitlochry-festival-theatre-timely-beautifully-choreographed/

Not sure whether they still have it, and if so whether they'd hire it out - but it could be worth asking.

• 2 weeks later...

we have one for sale or hire

and we are not a million miles away from you + can ship

Hi Graeme,

Sent you a PM a week ago - any chance you could send me a couple of pictures and dimensions? Oh, and how much it would cost, obviously!

Thanks,

Barney