Headset radio mic supplier for Education

Robin D

They use digital rather than radio frequencies, and the transmitter and receiver are paired, so no pesky licence issues.

If you are going to keep repeating it, I think we should point out that this statement is not really accurate, the reason they do not need a licence is they use the licence free shared 2.4GHz band, with all the potential pitfalls this has of shared RF frequencies.

Yeah I keep seeing this comment and forgetting to respond! All wireless frequencies are "radio" frequencies. Whether the devices transmitting and receiving on a given frequency band are analog or digital is largely irrelevant to whether or not they need licensing.

Radio mics using the 2.4ghz "wifi" band have their place, however they often don't co-exist in a friendly manner with nearby wifi networks.

I've only handled 2.4GHz mics once and vowed never again. They were sat on a table at the back of the hall alongside Trantec S4.4 CH70.

The Trantecs showed all 4 leds lit but the digitals seemed to drop out whenever they got to a critical bit.

It didn't help having a hall full of 800 senior school students with Iphones trying to connect to them.

If I may, that’s not an issue with 2.4GHz mics, it’s an issue with the way you used them. You’d never dream of placing your uhf mics on the opposite side of a room full of uhf transmitters. Equally 2.4GHz doesn’t have the range of UHF. I’d never dream of putting my receivers at the rear of a hall. Doesn’t mean they’re no good, it just means they need using differently. Alongside stage with sensible antenna placement and mine have always been rock solid.

Do I use them on principal characters? Not often but occasionally when needed. Do I wish I could use them all the time on principals? You bet! No companding and no need to set pack gain means they sound great and are un-clippable.

What Cedd said. I've happily used the L6 kit for years but have seen endless complaints from other users about them not working reliably. For those I've helped, it's always been user error e.g. IEM transmitter antennae right next to the receivers or even leaving a spare transmitter switched on on top of the receiver rack!

RF is never plug & play, no matter how much manufacturers try to tell you that their product is.

Worth clarifying that phones can't see L6 kit or try to connect to it - they use the WiFi frequency band but they're not WiFi.

• 2 weeks later...

The school I volunteer at are dead set on buying a rack of 8 or so radio mics ahead of a show next month and have asked me for recommendations for model and potential suppliers. I've used various models of both Trantec and Sennheiser in the past but what is the current perceived wisdom, and who is likely to come up with the goods in the available time please? Particularly concerned about robustness and availability of spares.

I've argued that hiring continues to be the better option but ..... :-(

We are in East Suffolk.

HI

If you still want to invest in some radio mics I have some new and ex hire kit available to purchase. Please let me know if you would like prices.