Cheap source of black drapes?

Karel Bata

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Street market? Southall & Brick Lane come to mind, depending on where in London you are. Adequate flame-proofing might be your biggest challenge - don't assume anything you buy is flame-proof, & don't believe any assertions that it is without thorough testing.

Dave Horatha in the arches at Shepherds Bush Market......

I used to spend many "working" afternoons there when I worked up the road or on the other side of the railway (6/- for a haircut). Can't think of anywhere in particular going North, but for South London Brixton would be an obvious start.

We use stuff which is commonly called "casement" or "NDFR", this is already treated fire retardant until it gets wet. It's good for masking but not very thick, I would not call it "drape" but it is similar to the tablecloth material you linked to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293046054362

or fore a more legit but more expensive supplier

https://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/shop/sales/scenic-materials/fabric-material/calico-sheeting-and-casement/product.aspx?code=318-6604&nr=true

We use stuff which is commonly called "casement" or "NDFR", this is already treated fire retardant until it gets wet. It's good for masking but not very thick, I would not call it "drape" but it is similar to the tablecloth material you linked to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293046054362

or fore a more legit but more expensive supplier

https://www.stage-el...18-6604&nr=true

'Casement' is a lightweight cotton fabric. I don't believe it is always flame retardant but the examples given are.

'NDFR' stands for 'Non-Durably Flame Reteardent'. It is not the name of a specific type of fabric.

So 'Casement' may be okay for what you need. And you should make sure it is (at least) 'NDFR'. But if you ask for 'NDFR' you are not asking for a particular type of fabric.

It's all hideously expensive. sad.gif

It's not really. A 4m or 6m drape has a lot of material in it, someone out there is making it to earn their livelihood and pay their bills. I'm sure we've all tried to put on events with little or no budget but you have to be realistic about what is possible.

That's an interesting resourse. Thanks. Have you used that material? Just how heavy is it? I need a large quantity to cover walls (I can cover the windows with newpaper first), and then need something else a bit heavier to hang in two sperate pieces that run parallel and form a short entrance 'corridor' and light trap. I think this would be too lightweight for that? So what kind of weight should I be looking at?

M.H. - I entirely agree with you. Folks are entitled to make a living. All I meant here is that this adds up when you start to cover a large space. I need to source 42m x 4m of black material to completely black out two large rooms for an immersive arts installation - out of my own pocket! Plus the flooring. So I'm looking for reasonable ways to cut corners.

Edited by Karel Bata