Behringer Wing Sound Desk

GaryNattrass

Pleased to see that it's now possible to get a console which is designed straight up for use with digital stage boxes, i.e. a wide mixer with a relatively small number of physical analogue preamps, but lots of digital I/O. The X32 range looks dated in forcing you to get a bunch preamps in the mixer, and then a load more if you want a digital stage box to save on hauling an analogue multicore around, which end up stopping you using the ones in the mixer.A little weird that having pushed flexibility so hard, the group on the far right seems to be dedicated to the "always on" channels and can't be used as paged faders if you don't need that ...

The Sweetwater overview is proving pretty informative. The initial figure of 48 inputs looked to be limiting, but the fact that these can all be stereo, that there is an alternative input per channel and that the desk can handle a wide variety of input / output sources and formats (including the intriguing promise of 32 digital channels over "any old XLR cable") seems to show a fairly significant leap forward in thinking. There are some parallels here with the Heritage HD....

Stage Connect (the 32 channels over xlr) is indeed very interesting. The number of smaller venues I do which don’t have installed cat5 where I don’t have the time to run in my own - this could be very useful.

Having been put off the Allen&Heath SQ range by the lack of mono buses and quite a few reported hardware issues on their tech support forum,, I think I may have just found the eventual successor to my trusty Roland M480 and M300.

Alternate inputs (importantly with their own separate gain etc. - lots of expensive desks don’t have this) plus a channel being mono or stereo rather than using up 2, means a 48 channel desk will more than do what I need.

We took the punt and ordered one for evaluation. It'll be interesting to see when it actually turns up, although Mr. Behringer himself posted on Linkedin that they're shipping from the factory next month, so they may have learned from previous product launches where it could be years from announcement to delivery

• 1 month later...

We took the punt and ordered one for evaluation. It'll be interesting to see when it actually turns up, although Mr. Behringer himself posted on Linkedin that they're shipping from the factory next month, so they may have learned from previous product launches where it could be years from announcement to delivery

To follow up on this, the first of two WIMGs that we ordered arrived this morning.

We're just waiting for the flightcase to arrive on Monday and then it'll be ready to hire.

If there's anyone in the West Midlands area who fancies popping over to our place in Telford to have a quick play with this formidable piece of kit, please let me know and I'll see what I can arrange.

There's a very useful Facebook users group, handily named "Behringer 'wing' users" which is a good repository for all the information as it comes out.

I'd love to see someone do a video review sometime of the more theatre-specific elements. Specifically scene recalls, scene scope etc. So far all the footage has looked at sound quality and connectivity - all important stuff but it doesn't tell me if I can reassign a DCA on a scene by scene basis, change its label and change its colour!