Prolights Luma 700 vs 1500

thomasjones

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice - I'm planning to buy some new moving head gobo fixtures for our venue. Due to our location (we're all the way up in Shetland) it's not cost-effective to get anything sent up to demo. I was thinking to buy either Prolights' Luma 700s or the Luma 1500s - our main colour wash comes from 6 x Prolights Diamond 19s supplemented by 8 x Diamond 7s (normally set up on the floor or on poles). I would be happy to go for the smaller Luma 700s, however my concern is whether they'll cut it in terms of brightness - if they're not going to be punchy enough I would just buy fewer of the more powerful fixtures.

If anyone has used these before and could give me any advice it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas.

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice - I'm planning to buy some new moving head gobo fixtures for our venue. Due to our location (we're all the way up in Shetland) it's not cost-effective to get anything sent up to demo. I was thinking to buy either Prolights' Luma 700s or the Luma 1500s - our main colour wash comes from 6 x Prolights Diamond 19s supplemented by 8 x Diamond 7s (normally set up on the floor or on poles). I would be happy to go for the smaller Luma 700s, however my concern is whether they'll cut it in terms of brightness - if they're not going to be punchy enough I would just buy fewer of the more powerful fixtures.

If anyone has used these before and could give me any advice it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas.

I have just bought two Luma 700s and find them really good. When making my purchase, I was choosing between Luma 700 and Jetspot 4z, both from Prolights. I went for the brighter one - the Luma 700. I work in a variety of venues and need to be sure they will have the punch I require, so I didn't want to take a risk on the slightly weaker Jetspot. Your choice is between the 700 and the even brighter 1500. It's really down to the distance the fixture will be from the stage in the venue. In the largest venue I work in, I needed to be sure that the light would be strong enough for a 10 metre throw, and indeed the Luma 700 is just about bright enough for that. My budget would not stretch to the Luma 1500 but if it did, I would have gone for it.

I note that you want these for gobos. I use my Lumas mainly as FOH specials, so I needed to be sure they would be strong enough even if they were zoomed out for a group of performers rather than an individual.

Basically, I feel that if your budget will allow, then go for the brighter one - you can always turn it down. Are you sure you cannot arrange a demo? I had two demos before I went ahead with my purchase and I find AC Entertainment are very accommodating in arranging demos.

Best of luck with the decision.

Denis