The world's gone mad!

Handrails on stage? We have had this discussion since one of our staff walked backwards off the stage. I think common sense has prevailed but it isn't certain yet! I did recommend (tongue firmly in cheek) a large sign on the cyc saying "Do not walk backwards off the stage" as a preventative measure. Serious discussion followed!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Handrails on stage?  We have had this discussion since one of our staff walked backwards off the stage. 

I believe some venue's have handrails for non-performance activities which come off during shows

We had some at high school for when private hirers used the stage for anything but a stage.

Killed himself, or just brain damaged? Following a risk assessment with or without a prior accident, you installed the handrail?

Quite normal practice for rehearsals or any un-rehearsed event.

Buy a black light. Rig it and leave it on. Get all the techs to buy dayglo shirts in hideous shades... Wear at all times and say 'because it makes me happy' then laugh as a "nearly"blackout turns the stage into a display of 'fireflies' as a scene change takes place.

Sit back and wait for the head of drama to complain...

Failing that, use 50KW of stage blinders at full for your 'working light'. If they complain that it hurts because its so bright say it is the new HandS regs that moving in a blackout is not allowed.

Have fun my little saboteurs :P

I want pictures if you do that! Thats sounds a great idea

Handrails on stage?  We have had this discussion since one of our staff walked backwards off the stage.  I think common sense has prevailed but it isn't certain yet!  I did recommend (tongue firmly in cheek) a large sign on the cyc saying "Do not walk backwards off the stage" as a preventative measure.  Serious discussion followed!

Handrails on stage? yes you may need them now!

(a) work in any place, including a place at or below ground level;

where, if measures required by these Regulations were not taken, a person could fall a distance liable to cause personal injury;

Statutory Instrument 2005 No. 735 The Work at Height Regulations 2005

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20050735.htm

HSE Guidance note:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

Archived