Mic stand threads

revbobuk

Does anyone use those quick release adapters? One half screws to the stand, the other half to the clip and you can click / unclick them far more quickly. I've seen them used once or twice and they seemed like a good idea.

Does anyone use those quick release adapters? One half screws to the stand, the other half to the clip and you can click / unclick them far more quickly. I've seen them used once or twice and they seemed like a good idea.

I tried some about 30 years ago but they were carp.

One half was basically the head end of a nail and the other passed over it and 'clamped' under the head.

They felt firm but there was not enough friction to stop the two halves rotating with only a little effort, even the weight of the cable was enough to turn it.

I don't do enough mic stand work to make the effort to look again.

The SSE quick releases are great, especially on a festival stage, where you can keep a forest of mic stands good to go and just throw mics on quickly as you set the stage; or do very quick mic swaps on changeovers or on a failure.

They have a hexagon shape to them, so resist spinning. Can't find them listed online, but I'm sure SSE would sell you a set if you asked.

I remember seeing some that were manufactured by Proel, they used a mechanism similar to a BNC and seemed to hold fine. We were quite taken by them but didn't purchase any as they were more expensive than the stands we were using at the time.

I can't find any trace of them online, so they might be discontinued or may have a different name.