slow scan to VGA upscaler recommendations

KevinE

A few years ago I used to be able to get a multisync adapter you could strap on the back of a VGA monitor and it gave you conversion from any legacy standard into VGA, dipswitch selectable TTL, analogue 75R, PAL, RGB, you name it. But the company is no longer trading.

Can anyone recommend a cheap converter? Source video is RGBHV TTL at 25khz/55hz. Nearly EGA but not quite.

I tried a GBS8200 as advertised on ebay and amazon which shows its EGA line frequency up to 25.5khz, but it's presumably faulty as it floods the screen with red once it's warmed up.

Kramer presentation switchers are now available very cheaply (compared to their cost when new). Something like this might do the trick if it can handle the input signal. They accept quite a wide range so it's a possibility, probably best to check the manual. The rack mount format might not be ideal for strapping to the back of a monitor - depends on the size of the monitor I suppose.

Does it have to sit on the back of a monitor?

I think I still have a Sony switcher (3u unit) originally tailored to a CRT projector with I'p modules. I'm pretty sure it would have had RGB/RGBHV.

I'd love to find a home for it... and the damaged video multicore that went with it.

Edited by sunray

Ideally I want to gut a faulty CRT monitor and put an LCD panel inside the original case, along with any power supply and electronics. It's only a 14in tube.

I lent some 12" RGB/RGBHV CRT monitors in square metal cases a while ago, he used them as camera monitors when helping out at a school. I know they are not currently being used. I also know he had a clearout earlier this year and he is away for the rest of this month. Any use?

sounds interesting, I think a 4:3 12.1" lcd translates as equivalent viewing area to a 14in crt. The only problem is the signal, which must sync to 25khz/55hz, unusual by anyone's standards! I dont mind trying one if they're cheap enough! :)

sounds interesting, I think a 4:3 12.1" lcd translates as equivalent viewing area to a 14in crt. The only problem is the signal, which must sync to 25khz/55hz, unusual by anyone's standards! I dont mind trying one if they're cheap enough! :)

These are 12" (and some 9" too) CRT's which stack very well, not these models: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PVM-9040ME-Monitor-/303284645438 but that general design and only RGB/RGBHV. I've sent a message asking if they're still available but as I said he is away and virtually out of contact with the world. I'll only be looking for delivery costs from Kent.

These are 12" (and some 9" too) CRT's which stack very well, not these models: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PVM-9040ME-Monitor-/303284645438 but that general design and only RGB/RGBHV. I've sent a message asking if they're still available but as I said he is away and virtually out of contact with the world. I'll only be looking for delivery costs from Kent.

sorry just realized you said 12in crt, these wont be big enough, it has to be a 12.1" lcd or a 14in crt.

:)

That's cool, as I said it would have taken a while to sort.

Update:Following a chat with me they were in fact retired when he had a big clear out a little while back.

A quick work out tells me the last time they were used may have been last century so it was certainly time they did go.