HDMI over cat6

whitehousejamie

I believe that the Decimator MD-HX "Fixes" the HDCP issue on it's SDI outputs, by being HDCP compliant. I need to thoroughly test it one day, but I can say I've never had any issues.

It also has a tidy 4 SDI outputs!

In terms of resolution, 95% of modern equipment is 1920*1080, and that is an acceptable SDI resolution. I've had to deal with broken DVI connectors when running standard resolutions way more than I've had to deal with trying to run non standard res over SDI....

I believe that the Decimator MD-HX "Fixes" the HDCP issue on it's SDI outputs, by being HDCP compliant..

SDI is not HDCP compliant as it does not and can not carry the encrypted signal. The Decimator may well allow the Mac to output non-protected content, but if you try and play HDCP protected content it will not pass.

SDI is not HDCP compliant as it does not and can not carry the encrypted signal. The Decimator may well allow the Mac to output non-protected content, but if you try and play HDCP protected content it will not pass.

I think he means that it acts as an HDCP-compliant "sink" device, so protected contect will still be output, and it then converts that to SDI effectively stripping off the HDCP.

I think he means that it acts as an HDCP-compliant "sink" device, so protected contect will still be output, and it then converts that to SDI effectively stripping off the HDCP.

That was my belief yes. However having done some fiddling this evening, Decimator on the output of a current model macbook pro works great, up until you try to play netflix, which doesn't work in safari, but does work in chrome. Works fine direct to monitor in both.

Video Distribution - HD over LAN with a Gigabit switch as you Hub will allow one or more sources to any number of Display devices and will work with HDCP and no-HDCP protected content at the indicated cable lengths.

Have a look at the Octava ProDSX system we supply/support - being 'modular' it is simple to add additional Source and Display devices to the system.

HDCP - if you need to 'manage' HDCP to work with SDI or similar have a look at HDFury, we supply and use those on all manner of systems where HDCP is causing issues.

Joe

@Joe What is the typical latency of the ProDSX from encoder to decoder via one network switch?

My experience so far:

Cheap Video over IP = lots of latency (i.e. HDBitT).

Expensive Video over IP = good latency (i.e. SDVoE).

Vapoureware Video over IP = still waiting (i.e. TICO based products)

Where does Octava ProDSX fit? (cost/latency)

There are places where I don't mind higher latency and cheaper products are OK. Right now I'm looking for an alternative to HDBaseT/SDI that is low latency enough to feed a projector showing live video of what's happening on a stage just below it. Latency will be very noticeable in this application.

Thanks!

Have a look at the Octava ProDSX system we supply/support - being 'modular' it is simple to add additional Source and Display devices to the system.

I'll get some figures for latency both Point to Point and via a Switch - we can always sort you out a demo pair to try out.

Price wise we ought to be pretty competitive against other HD over LAN solutions and very competitive against HDBT - esp. on larger systems.

Joe