DMX cables

PantoDame

Thanks for all the replies.I think I will do as 'Jivemaster' says and use the 'proper' cables when we expand.. I will also put a 120 ohm resistor at the end of the change as has been suggested elsewhere.My first improvement was to get a budget DMX controller such as a Chauvet 70 or Behringer 2412. Has anyone any comments on these? I understand the basic DMX OK but the programming seems to be quite difficult.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies.I think I will do as 'Jivemaster' says and use the 'proper' cables when we expand.. I will also put a 120 ohm resistor at the end of the change as has been suggested elsewhere.My first improvement was to get a budget DMX controller such as a Chauvet 70 or Behringer 2412. Has anyone any comments on these? I understand the basic DMX OK but the programming seems to be quite difficult.

Cheers

The plothora of 2412 lookalike desks are easy to program, I learnt how with 3 LED pars on the kitchen table and surprised myself.

I started with lighting for myself (as opposed to working for/with someone else) only a couple of years ago when I found myself dropped in at the deep end for a local AmDram when their tech guy fell ill. I did the first show using their 24ch desk in manual mode after I struggled to get it out of auto mode without an instruction manual. I borrowed another 4ch dimmer and lights which filled the desk to all 24ch.It soon became apparent I had become their new technician and realising the 24ch was likely to be undersized and troublesome (according to several members) I purchased a Chauvet 50, which is the same size and design as the 2412 but 48ch on 24 faders with a/b switching. I found it to be a real PITA and purchased a 48ch version with 48 faders.I did the next show in manual mode ( the AmDram group are very Am' and the lighting plot was only decided the night before) and several weeks later I'd read the manual to learn how to program and did the same show in auto.

Having now done a third show with all 48ch used I'm seriously thinking about a PC based system (just like a number of members predicted on here when I first asked for advice)