Fixture brightness in Capture visualiser

timsabre

I've been working on quite a few amateur theatrical shows this year, due to cost we usually only have one day in the theatre before first show. Capture is an amazing tool for letting you experiment with different lighting designs so you can go into the theatre with a rigging plan fairly confident that the design will work.

But... for some reason and I don't know if it's just my screen or something, Source 4 profiles just seem to be mega bright compared to everything else. If I have a simulated 1k CP62 par can next to a simulated 750W source 4 26 degrees, they look the same brightness, whereas in real life the par can is much brighter. 1K fres's like a Selecon Rama look really weedy compared to the s4. I have to keep remembering that the S4's are really not as bright in real life as they appear in Capture - my first design with Capture I didn't put enough FOH lighting in because of this.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to adjust or is it something in the fixture definitions?

Where it is available the fixtures are calibrated according to the photometric data. But I think there are a lot of factors - for example component version/accuracy of simulation, theoretical versus how your eyes interpret in the real world and of course accuracy of information. In 2019.1 Capture introduced an 'Intensity Scale' in the fixture properties where you can compensate. There is also hue clamp in the view properties since 2018 but this is slightly different. If you think something's wrong though there is no harm in contacting Capture support.