It was 50 years ago today!

Junior8

11 hours ago, kerry davies said:

Think it is the same Bill Hanley that is pictured above. Woodstock, Shea Stadium, Bill Graham's Fillmores and the Bloomfield/Butterfield/Dylan electric gig were just some of the notches on his fader. He was the US version of Charlie Watkins though younger. If still with us he would be 84.  

Bill Hanley is still with us...

On 12/18/2021 at 10:01 AM, Derek Tallent said:

Bill Hanley is still with us...

On 12/18/2021 at 1:59 AM, Ynot said:

Old topic resurrected for that pic, but worthy one...

Back in my teens (late 70s) I was nowhere near anything professional, but do recall that following a design courtesy of a good friend of mine (who was a couple of years older than I and a bit of an electronics whizz) I built my own solid state amp for a home-built twin deck + cassette DJ console, and I did a handful of local discos before the theatre bug took hold proper. I think it was a mahoosive 200W per stereo channel, which then was WAY louder than we thought I'd ever need.

He also gave me a design for a 4-ch, 2 x 5A sockets per channel single master dimmer desk - he built one too, and we did a fair few school productions with those mini-beasts side by side (one of the am-dram directors was a teacher so we tended to go in and kit their hall out with loads of the society's lanterns).

When I moved up to the venue I've now been at for almost 40 years, a 250 seater volunteer run theatre, we used to have rock gigs in with a guy who ran a music shop up t' road (name of Bram) who brought in sound rigs then of 10 to 12kW PA. He never got to turn it 'up to 11' but even on half power it made the wall between the auditorium and the control room vibrate like an Australian wobble board! You could literally see it moving with each bass thump!

(And that was when we ran LX cues on a Strand SP60 - 60 channels on 3 master faders with A/B selectors - we got it off to a fine art sliding both the masters and selected channels in beat to the music at times, and man you knew you'd done a night's work on that when it was done 🙂

No photo description available.

NOT one of the R & R ops - Patrick here was far too sedate for THAT sort of gig, but that's the very desk - in a way it was a shame to let it go, but technology advanced, so we did. 🙂

Yes I believe this is the same person, I saw it and just had to include it