Showing My Age...

Fleeting

I think it was Patt 45s which were up for being stage weighted,

Yes it was

But I hadn't thought of using one as a buiscuit barrel - hnag on - that means finding one that isn't too rusty.

Hmm Might be a problem.

James

We have some Patt 23s in our demo room, reminds me of when I started in the business.

I also have a couple of original lime lights, strange looking device that burns a block of lime and shoots gas at it to get a good light.

You don't have to worry what type of lens it has, just how long before the theatre burns down!

Andy

Stagetec

the way to make a pattern 23 stay upright is to sit it on its arse, not the lens end. A bit like people, really. If you were then to fill it with concrete it would make a perfectly acceptable doorstop, but it would still be no good as a stage weight as it would probably not sit on the end of the brace very well. I don't know if you've noticed, but regular stageweights are moulded with cut-outs to facilitate the balancing on bits of wood / steel necessary to fulfil their function. They made very good ashtrays in the days when everyone smoked onstage, aswell. (irony: pet hate) edit - pet hate was using stageweights as ashtrays, not smoking, altthough I am an ex smoker myself now....

In my home town there is a place that still has about 20 patt 23's above the ballroom floor. They seem to be in full working condition aswell!

To add to that my dad owns a number of patt 23's and patt 123's which he still uses for his amateur shows in the local area!! He just keeps saying "they were built to last!" I just remind him that they are older than I am!

Archived