Showing My Age...

Fleeting

Greetings,

I recently visited a antiques shop ( my mum wanted to not me). Amongst the mahogany tables and assorted brick a brack was an early Strand Patt 23 fresnel. I know that is was going to happen but not as soon as this. I'm only 34 and the equipment I started working with is an antique. Does this mean that soon I'm going to have to put myself out to pasture?

Fleeting...

feeling very old

I think I remember seeing an article last year possibly in Lighting 'n' Sound Int. about the fact that vari lite had donated their first two units to the Theatre Museum. So if they are not already antiques, they are certainly museum pieces.

early Strand Patt 23 fresnel

Sorry to state this, but the Patt 23 is a profile!! (You do occasionally see versions with fresnel lenses, though). The Patt 123 is the fresnel.

Dave

(PS traditional definition of antique is >100 years old)

Is it 25 years when an item can be called an antique. or am I getting this confused with cars???

its neither, its over 100 years for an antique normally and over 27 years for a car

Sorry to state this, but the Patt 23 is a profile!! (You do occasionally see versions with fresnel lenses, though).

Are they not usually stepped lenses with the steps cut in from the flat side of the lens rather than from the convex side which fresnel lense are? At least the couple I've seen were...

OK OK

I found a couple of CCT minuettes in Camden Antiques market.

I can only assume that the guy didn't know what he had - given he sold them to me for £5 (that's for the pair.....)

So I'm curious now - how much was the Patt 123 going for?

Just for information, the PATT 23 could come with different lenes, one of which was a fresnel. Got one here :stagecrew: , but is never used. Just imagine the amount of light you could get out of it!!!!!!

Just imagine the amount of light you could get out of it!!!!!!

Would this give the Patt 45 a run for it's money as the least light for power?

Or is there anything else out there more ineficient than the old thing - I would say stageweight but mine aren't even good enough for that - I supose I could fill them up with concrete one of these days - shouldn't affect their light output any but should improve their use as stageweights...

Hmm.

Hi

Just reading about using a P23 as a stage weight. Surely one of the most annoying things about them is that they're always falling over????!!!!!!!????? So even if filled with concrete, they'd be useless as any sort of ballast!

Grrr to P23s I say, I've just had to PAT 40 of them, GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Just reading about using a P23 as a stage weight

I think it was Patt 45s which were up for being stage weighted, which is all well and good if you've already got a biscuit barrel for the crew room, otherwise, that little hatch on the back is just crying out for them to be up-ended and filled with biccies!

Or maybe I'm just hungry right now...

Archived