Martin Rush Multibeam 2 fault

jason5d

We have a Martin Rush Multibeam 2 that has stopped

moving, the lights flash and change colour as they should.

There's motor noise when it's on sound to light

and I tap the case.

Both light bars don't move.

I took off the top and bottom covers, the belts

and motors are were they should be.

The menu works.

Any thoughts?

Thx.

Sounds like its blown one half of the stepper motor driver chip, meaning the motor will try to move but not have enough torque to actually move the light. Or it might be the same type of problem that plagues older Macs in that part of the circuit that controls motor current, and therefore torque, fails meaning the motors try to move but are too weak and feeble. Either way, barring a wiring loom fault, your problem is probably electronic.

Hope this helps

As said above, sounds like it could be a stepper motor driver chip. They can be tested on the older Mac 250s etc. with a Martin stepper motor driver tester but I'm not sure if that works with the Rush stuff!

I would carefully check the loom first though, just in case... it may have been rubbing somewhere!

I would carefully check the loom first though, just in case... it may have been rubbing somewhere!

Which is itself a VERY common cause of blown driver chips so don't replace a driver chip without checking.