Spice girls sound

Dmx512

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - a well balanced and fairly well researched article, was this really written by the BBC?

You have some concrete evidence to back up your suggestion that the BBC are incapable of balance or serious research ??

Wow - a well balanced and fairly well researched article, was this really written by the BBC?

You have some concrete evidence to back up your suggestion that the BBC are incapable of balance or serious research ??

OT but the lack of coverage on the marches showing support for Soldier F that have been happening in London a lot in the past few weeks. Total blackout from BBC despite Sky giving it full coverage....

I think it was Ric Parfitt who said some years ago that bands should stick to playing theatres, once you got into arenas and bigger all sorts of issues arose. He was talking about contact with an audience and so on but I think the point has a wider application.

I think it was Ric Parfitt who said some years ago that bands should stick to playing theatres,

Within the space of six months I saw a well-known comedian perform in a ~200 capacity comedy club, and an ~8000 capacity arena. Sound systems in both venues were absolutely fine, but there's a huge difference in the way the performer works with the audience.

Of course it's all being driven by economics - the payday for bigger venues is massive. And audiences don't seem to be voting with their feet.

A few of my friends went to see Muse at the Olympic stadium over the weekend. Judging by some of the photos, an individual stood on the stage was almost invisible from the far side of the stadium!

For me, (more of a theatre person), anything bigger than about 3000 people is a bit pointless as the audience experience just gets progressively worse.

I think it was Ric Parfitt who said some years ago that bands should stick to playing theatres, once you got into arenas and bigger all sorts of issues arose. He was talking about contact with an audience and so on but I think the point has a wider application.

It was - my band supported Quo at a football stadium, and they were using their Garwood IEMs. We got monitors, but they were showing us the IEMs and saying how they were great, but every venue just sounded the same now. That said, we got wedges, and it was very, very big with speakers!

OT but the lack of coverage on the marches showing support for Soldier F that have been happening in London a lot in the past few weeks. Total blackout from BBC despite Sky giving it full coverage....

Briefly staying OT, TBF BBC News has actually covered the marches, though probably only on the News channel & local News, as it's really an "and in other news..." story, rather than breaking news. of which there is more than enough already. Sky is a commercially-funded rolling news channel with its own agenda.

Environmental departments and the career-whiners that moan loudly about any noise at all that comes from a stadium that they chose to live NEXT to, results in draconian noise limits being put on some shows. To the point of impacting the show experience adversely.

People go to shows to be engulfed in an excess of sound, light and drama. If the volume is going to be turned down then there's no point.

As mentioned in that article, working "in the round" where the performers are amongst the audience causes massive feedback issues that can require some creative processing and speaker placement to avoid. Not a huge issue if a show is going to be in a location for long enough to properly install and set up a well designed system, but that's not going to happen on a high turnover tour. Maybe the main venues should pre-install a backbone of in-audience speaker points with their own cabling and amplifier system.

Perhaps an industrial version of the silent disco headphones could find their way into arenas in the future. That would be weird. A silent arena show.

Maybe the main venues should pre-install a backbone of in-audience speaker points with their own cabling and amplifier system.
the problem there is that the stadiums do have a great PA system for their day to day use but no where near the spec needed for a concert. The scale of stadiums the spice girls are touring to are venues that only get one gig every couple of years so there’s zero chance of them splurging on a system.

They're in my neck o' the woods (Coventry Ricoh) today (and tomorrow?) and one of the noise boys on my theatre show this week said he could hear the sound checks earlier.

I did (tongue in cheek) ask if he actually heard the 'girls' or did he think it was a recorded vocal track...

He declined to respond :D

And a couple of locals here so far have spoken of poor sound at Coventry...

Hmmm... ™ ©

I read the perfectly reasonable riposte to the complaints from a venue representative ... it seems to me that some people expect attending a gig with 25000+ other people to be as simple and convenient as sitting in their front room with 2 or 3 friends to watch a DVD.