MagicQ - making moving heads NOT home after fader down

paulears

I asked on the Facebook group but haven't had a solution yet, so I'l share it here in case anyone knows the answer.

I really should know this - but have missed something. When I pull a fader down, I don't want the mover to return to the default position from the hed file, I just want it to stay put, and keep the same focus setting and gobos etc, ready to perk up when the fader is pushed again. In settings/prog/unused channels return to default, I've set it to heads without intensity only, which does exactly what I want - BUT it also prevents the fixture lighting up by typing the head number and 'full'. It gets me control of it on the programmer, but I have to dial in a colour to full, or prod a button. With the 'channels return to default' set to 'yes, all heads' - the example 100 full turns on 100 normally. I want it to stay put, but don't want to lose '100 full' working. Did I miss another hidden parameter I need to change.

People suggested using release, but of course this then pops the heads back to their released state, with pan/tilt, gobos, zoom etc all resetting, and I don't want that.

I can live with having to add in a colour to turn them on again in the programmer, but it would be nice not to have to do it.

I probably have the choice of the two modes, and cannot have the third.

I’m guessing that this for MagicQ? If so then I don’t know the answer, but if I had to do what you are trying to do on our ETC Element I’d store just the position on one submaster and make it active. I’d then have just the intensity recorded on another sub.

worth a try - but I've come to the conclusion that by changing the unused channels setting to one that does what I want, I lose the quick light up ability from the keypad, needing two extra pushes colour and a colour button. Perhaps just my 'need' being one nobody else finds useful.

Are you using Vdims? Your need doesn't sound unusual and it's something that I don't recall being impossible.

The 'without intensity' setting is more useful for smoke machines etc. Just use No when in doubt.

I don't understand why the fixture wouldn't already have a colour selected, if it is retaining its last settings, or was its last setting with all colours at 0? (Assuming this is a fixture with RGB mixing)

You can do what they call a "partial locate" by holding down one of the attribute buttons and pressing Locate, so once you have keyed the fixture number <Color> + <Locate> would set the colours to the default state.

Try the various options in cue stack options (double click on the cuestack label, then "View Options"). I don't have a showfile handy to check, but "Fader releases stack" might be the one you are looking for.

You can also be more granular on what releases, in the "Activate/Release" tab.

Archived