Dynalite control via DMX

samchurchill

Hi,

I often operate lighting in a venue that has their house lights driven by a Dynalite DLE410 with a single 1-gang faceplate with 8 buttons on it for control, but this controller is tucked away in a cupboard away from where I’d like it to be.

I’d love to be able to control the 4 channels via DMX (or, if needed, ARTNET) but the part that I’ve found online for this (http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/prof/lighting-controls/dynalite/dynalite-integration-devices/913703081209_EU/product) seems to be hundreds of pounds (even on eBay), and I’m trying to do this on a bit of a budget. Can anyone advise if this is the only option, or if I'm missing a possible better way of doing it?

Thanks,

Sam

There is the DLE410-A which includes an a terminal strip for "additional Dynet/DMX Rx" - there is the potential that your dimmer is this module. If that is the case, it is as simple as running DMX to the dimmer and terminating it, and then having the person who commissioned the dynalite system come out and program the DMX functionality.

Otherwise you need the DDNG485 - which is not a cheap piece of kit. You then also need to get it commissioned to work with your system.

I would suggest (if all you have is 4 channels of dynalite for your space) that you just get a new keypad added (perhaps one with 4 faders in a project box so that you can position it wherever you want) or the existing one moved - it is a cheap cable to install, dynet terminates to RJ12, so no expensive connectors required.

I haven't keept up to date with Dynalite, last contact circa 2000 so I know nothing of the Philips versions.

I think the models we used were DLE405 or 410 which had Dynet and 4x 0-10V inputs or 4x programmable switch inputs depending on version, on the rare ocassions we interfaced with DMX we added a simple interface which one of my colleagues used to make, now I'd call it a deMux.

On one ocassion the customer begged me to fit rotary pots to control the dimming and even produced the ripped out 4 gang triac dimmer in a 2G white plate. It broke my heart to strip the PCBs off and use the pots to control the analogue inputs.

Many years ago I supplied an AmDram group with several rip out Dynalite packs which they used with an RS485 to RS232 converter and a PC for their lighting. I expect I still have some more laying around if anyone wants them.

Archived