Large PAR lamps being discontinued

Ynot

The reality is that it's only us old farts that really could give two hoots about the end of the halogen PAR - audiences won't even notice - they may even think how much better shows are with modern technology :o :o

Indeed. We’ve had Gary Mullen’s Queen show coming to our theatre for years. They used to tour banks of PARS and have gradually evolved to using large ‘pods’ containing a variety of LED fixtures, and the show is no less impressive. I don’t think they even use movers!

It would be a fun thing to try if you didn't need a glass processing factory to assemble the outer PAR envelope.

Raylight style pressed reflector? Could maybe be combined with reusable lenses, a la S4 PAR? Or go for plastic holographic lenses, potentially more efficient than glass.

entirely lit by 300W PAR56 narrow beam lamps, about 280 of them, they want to replace them with LED but there is nothing similar available without doubling or tripling the number of fixtures to get the same light levels.

They'd probably need a new heating system as well if they went LED, as they presumably don't need much with 84kw of halogen lamps......

They'd probably need a new heating system as well if they went LED, as they presumably don't need much with 84kw of halogen lamps......

It's Beverley Minster, the lights are all high up on the clerestory window walkways so I wouldn't have thought they contribute to the heating much at floor level. Interesting point though.

PAR lamps at high level will contribute a bit of heating at low level, provided that they are directed downwards, somewhat similar to the infra red heaters often used in Churches, these warm persons sitting or standing at floor level despite being mounted at high level.

If the PAR lamps are directed so as to light the ceiling or roof, then the contribution to heating at low level will be negligible.

(Drifting a little O/T, years ago I worked for a company that maintained office buildings. Every Autumn I had to remove over 200 CFL reflector lamps from downlights in the reception area of an office block and fit 150 watt PAR 38s instead due to the extra heat output. In the Spring the PAR 38s were removed and replaced with the CFLs to reduce energy use and air conditioning demand.)

Every Autumn I had to remove over 200 CFL reflector lamps from downlights in the reception area of an office block and fit 150 watt PAR 38s instead due to the extra heat output. In the Spring the PAR 38s were removed and replaced with the CFLs to reduce energy use and air conditioning demand.)

Surely it would have been cheaper to keep the CFLs in year-round and just turn the heating up a bit more in winter time?

PAR lamps at high level will contribute a bit of heating at low level, provided that they are directed downwards, somewhat similar to the infra red heaters often used in Churches, these warm persons sitting or standing at floor level despite being mounted at high level.

If the PAR lamps are directed so as to light the ceiling or roof, then the contribution to heating at low level will be negligible.

They might not provide much direct heat at low level, but if the air at the top is hotter than the air at the bottom, there'll be less convection so any heat at low level will seem more effective.

I'd imagine the roof is fairly dry though which is a useful side effect.....

Archived