Busking video content to Spiiders

numberwrong

How would one go about mapping video content to robe Spiiders whilst still maintaining control from the lighting console. Ideally I would like to have a dimmer channel to control video content on the fixtures.

The lighting desk would be Avolites although I could use Chamsys if it would be better for this. It's a dance music stage I'm working on this summer with live VJing/projection mapping as well as busked lighting. It's the VJing I want to add to the spiiders so some kind of Artnet merging is the key as opposed to content running from, or being triggered by the LX desk.

Ive seen some videos about Klingnet which seems to be an Arkaos thing only? I haven't spoken to the video dep about this yet but I'm pretty sure they use Arkaos but run through touch designer to do the mapping plus some extra control from the lighting desk. There are a few different VJs with different setups so ideally I need something that will work universally.

What are the options on this?

Some fixtures have this built in (eg some Martin fixtures can take P3 video by ethernet and then control that with DMX) but not spiiders apparently. I would give Avo a call, they like a challenge and may know of a way to do this within the console.

What attributes of the Spiiders are you wanting to override, just brightness?

I did the exact same thing you are planning to do! I'm using Madrix to send RGB data to the Spiiders (in mode 10), and all the rest from Avolites.I use a custom patch in a Luminex Eth-DMX node, with a trigger channel from the console. This way by flipping the trigger channel I can switch between pixel control from the console or pixel control from the Madrix. Pan, tilt, zoom... channels are always taken from the Avo.

What attributes of the Spiiders are you wanting to override, just brightness?

I want to control the fixtures as you would normaly but with the pixels taking RGB values from video so I could bring up the'Pixels' intensity to show video content on the fixture or not. I kind of imagined it would be an Artnet merging kind of thing where video could map the fixtures and output Artnet, merged with Artnet from the LX desk LTP

I did the exact same thing you are planning to do! I'm using Madrix to send RGB data to the Spiiders (in mode 10), and all the rest from Avolites.I use a custom patch in a Luminex Eth-DMX node, with a trigger channel from the console. This way by flipping the trigger channel I can switch between pixel control from the console or pixel control from the Madrix. Pan, tilt, zoom... channels are always taken from the Avo.

OK thanks. I'll look in to this.

I think the klingnet thing is the way to go if I can.

OK thanks. I'll look in to this.

I think the klingnet thing is the way to go if I can.

It sounds to me like Stijn has the answer here. But in addition to this and Tim's suggestion to call Avo (if you haven't already) you could potentially make life a bit easier if you patch as mode 3 or 6 in the console with the fixtures set to mode 4 or 10 respectively as both mode pairs share the same master controls and therefore remove merge priority from the equation. Note that you may also need to adjust the Colour Mix Control setting (Col Mix Func).

Archived