Occasional use of DCP

Bryson

Does anyone here make occasional use of DCP-formatted files? I'm looking at a solution for a client who only needs to playback DCP once in a while and the Dolby IMSs are a bit overkill for their needs.

But everything else in the market is somewhat confusing with very dodgy-looking websites. What are people actually using out there?

If the DCP files are encrypted then I don’t think you can play them without a Dolby media block. I’m not sure I’d use the DCP file format for playback from a desktop pc. The files tend to be huge at around 1gb per minute, and the hardware might not support the high bit depth (36 bits per pixel) that DCP files are capable of. Blu-ray might be a better option.

So buy or rent a dci compliant digital cinema system of some kind. They are designed from the ground up to be able to store and play back the huge DCP files that movies use these days. You could try and find some desktop computer software that can play DCP files, but can you guarantee flawless playback from such a system? Probably not. And if the DCP is encrypted then I doubt that there’s any software that could play it back.

Are you sure that the content must be a DCP file? We show unencrypted DCPs that are recordings of live broadcasts from places like the National Theatre, the RSC, etc. I’m fairly sure that some or maybe all of this content can be delivered on Blu-ray if we wanted it.

All I know is that client wants to play DCP "occasionally" and probably can't justify the cost of a full DCP system. I was hoping there may be a middle ground between "open-source software on a PC" and "$100k DCP system" but perhaps there really isn't.

I believe the source of the video is an international Film Festival type organization, who insist on DCP.

Archived