Linking comms systems

Hi all,

In our shiny shiny new concert halls we have a very lovely HelixNet system. In our touring stage management kit for our acting shows we have 2 Altair wireless cans kits. It'd be marvellous if I can make the two talk to each other. The easy answer is to use the proper 2 wire interface card in the HelixNet basestation - but this lists at over £1k...

My plan is as following, project box containing two 600 ohm audio transformers, two XLR4s coming out, one into the headset port on the HelixNet basestation, one into the headset port on the Altair basestation. I assume I'm going to need some padding to get the headset level down to mic level - anyone done this before and know how much padding?

Anyone done similar before and know if I'm likely to succeed? I'm willing to give it a go and fail, as the components are less than £20, compared to the £1k for the official link card.

If the altair is tecpro compatible why not attack it from the other direction and use the tecpro 2 to 4 wire box.

Because that gadget - although ideal - is £250 new, and still around £100 used. It's a situation where I can't really justify spending money on it, but if I can make a solution out of the parts bin and £20 of bits it'd be worth doing.

If you can spare the headset ports on the base stations for this purpose, and get the levels right, what you suggest should work.I would expect the headphone signals to be a few volts p-p, and the mic level will be about 100mV so you would be looking to reduce the level to about 1/100th, ish

Archived