Audio Technica bodypack hum

revbobuk

Guys - discovered an elderly audio-technica ATW-T51 beltpack, and associated ATW-R14 fixed frequency (864.420 MHz) beltpack. Even without a mic attached, and even on standby, there is a substantial level of hum being received. A number of questions spring to mind!

1. Is this a known thing?

2. Is it possible that some part of the transmitter circuitry has drifted out of alignment? - if so,

3. Are schematics available anywhere?

4. I've opened up the TX, and there's nothing obviously damaged. Nothing makes the hum obviously worse when prodded. Is the beltpack the likely culprit? I presumed it was, as the receiver is otherwise silent.

Good ideas, anyone?

Guys - discovered an elderly audio-technica ATW-T51 beltpack, and associated ATW-R14 fixed frequency (864.420 MHz) beltpack. Even without a mic attached, and even on standby, there is a substantial level of hum being received. A number of questions spring to mind!

1. Is this a known thing?

2. Is it possible that some part of the transmitter circuitry has drifted out of alignment? - if so,

3. Are schematics available anywhere?

4. I've opened up the TX, and there's nothing obviously damaged. Nothing makes the hum obviously worse when prodded. Is the beltpack the likely culprit? I presumed it was, as the receiver is otherwise silent.

Good ideas, anyone?

Are you using the original mains power supply for the receiver or not? I found that the fixed VHF Auio-technical I had to replace the PSU for was very sensitive to ripple on the DC input (even from a switch mode PSU!) which made it hum.Is it possible that the lapel mic has a wiring fault, e.g. the screen is disconnected at the beltpack end? Depending on the capsule wiring you may get signal, but with an unscreened mic lead!

Original PSU. I've re-soldered the mic cable, as that was my first thought too, but the hum is present even without the mic cable, both when the transmitter is on and when it is on standby/mute. Goes when the transmitter is off, but of course that doesn't rule out the problem being with the receiver. The him does seem to change slightly as you move the transmitter around.

Or not. Just goes to show that you can't take anything for granted. I went back and checked the PSU again - and it wasn't the original Audio Technica. More than that, neither the voltage nor the current rating were correct. In fact, it wasn't even a DC output! It was an AC output PSU. I'm pleasantly surprised the receiver was still working at all, and swapping to a better suited PSU has improved the situation enormously.

But I'm still not quite sorted. The tieclip mic is horribly sensitive to handling, and I'm not at all sure it has been soldered correctly. Pinouts I've been able to find online don't correspond to what I see on the mic. And the existing cable has screen and 4 conductors, 2 red and 2 blue, which are simply twisted as a 'red' pair and a 'blue' pair. Most pinouts have a resistor shown: Audio%20Technica%204%20Pin%20Connector%20%28Hirose%20Connector%29.png

Anyone know the correct pinout?

Good - resoldering with the correct pinout has fixed the low signal level, and there's now no hum. All I need to do know is source a replacement clip and windshield and we're all sorted. Thanks for the help, appreciated.

Archived