Small DMX Desk

Stu

personly I dont like the fat frog, I have had great problems using it before on an outdoor production which we combied generic and moving lights. The problem we had was that once you have programmed a memmory, it is very hard to change levels of the channels. Of course it would have helped if we didnt get power to the site untill tht day before the first performance. If you do get one, I would recomend using the sequential playback for generics, and the submasters for moving lights. It keeps it much simpler that way!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purely from a personal point of view I've seen the Frogs and don't like them. They don't look right, and they don't seem to work right. I've also heard a lot of negative stuff about them.

The Strand 300, on the other hand, is very reputable; I know which one I'd go for given the choice though I think there is almost certainly an element of personal response to different desks here.

Any chance you can "try before you buy" on the Frog, to see what you think of it yourself?

N.

What about if Windows decides that his work conditions are in direct contravention of the EU working time directive during a show, and shuts itself down, or crashes?! :D

5 seconds before a cue.

Probably be a good time to start swearing...

Stu

Yeh I can see how PC's could produce some pretty good stuff on a budget, but to be honest, I'd rather place my trust in a 520i or something, if I was using movers etc. Only about £300ish to rent a week, dead easy desk to use (in my opinion), and more likely to last the week, and therefore not meet gravity via the nearest window when it all goes wrong!

Stu

Yeh I can see how PC's could produce some pretty good stuff on a budget, but to be honest, I'd rather place my trust in a 520i or something, if I was using movers etc. Only about £300ish to rent a week, dead easy desk to use (in my opinion), and more likely to last the week, and therefore not meet gravity via the nearest window when it all goes wrong!

True. Though a 520i in the wrong hands is fairly deadly.

A local school in my area has a 500-series console and it's absolutely buggered - crashes v. regularly, won't run certain things, unpredictable etc. - because the kids don't know how to use it and when they do they leave their rubbish in memory.

A sad example of a great piece of kit being bought for exactly the wrong purpose and venue. </hidden envy>

Granted, any piece of LX equipment can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Personally, unless a school actually does a Tech Theatre course (which mine didn't), all that is needed is a 2 Preset Desk with some sort of Memory Control, so fully automated shows can be run if needs be. We had a Strand MX48 at School, perfect for what we needed it for, and as Movers were never used when I was there it did the trick. (Altho I did a show in December there, used movers, and therefore another desk.)

For most schools, something like the Strand 200 series (when they iron out the bugs), in a 48/96 (are they planning one of these?) version would suffice for almost situation. Most schools only have LX rigs of this size, or smaller still, so why spend any more money than you need too!

And at £800 or so ex. vat, it's a bargain!

Stu

For most schools, something like the Strand 200 series (when they iron out the bugs), in a 48/96 (are they planning one of these?) version would suffice for almost situation. Most schools only have LX rigs of this size, or smaller still, so why spend any more money than you need too!

And at £800 or so ex. vat, it's a bargain!

Stu

Agreed. I'm considering recommending the purchase of a 200 to another school - from what I hear it sounds v. suitable.

Going to wait and try it out first though.

Agreed. I'm considering recommending the purchase of a 200 to another school - from what I hear it sounds v. suitable.

Going to wait and try it out first though.

[Engages 'Ian Ferguson' mode ... :D]

Drop me a line if you need a quote on one.

Archived